Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: New Jack Reacher series on Amazon Prime

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    I think I gave up when Spenser assembled a team of senior citizens to do something or other and they shot it out with the bad guys victorious but for a few minor flesh wounds. I was done.t
    Potshot was one of his worst, almost as bad as A Catskill Eagle. I liked his early stuff, but after awhile, the books were, well, mostly awful. On the other hand, Small Vices was a pretty searing look into Spenser coming back from being shot. (Parker revisited the topic with Hawk being shot in Cold Service.)

The less said about the post-death pastiches the better.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Speaking of actual actors...

(Been a big fan of Oldman's work for decades. He should have received recognition for his talent much earlier on.)
    Loved, loved, LOVED Oldman in the remake of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.

https://youtu.be/VW-F1H-Nonk
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Trailer is out. Size of the guy will appeal to those that were mad about cruise being short.

Having not read the books, idk if the “cocky” way this guys is portraying Reacher is in line with the books or not, but I suppose it fits with his size vs Cruise’s interpretation of a more reserved badass which would be more fitting of his size.

Bullet was 95 grains, that must be subsonic.

But at least The Stones appear in the soundtrack.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Quote Originally Posted by NETim View Post
    Loved, loved, LOVED Oldman in the remake of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.

https://youtu.be/VW-F1H-Nonk
    He's been a brilliant actor for a long time. I'm glad he finally began to receive the recognition he deserved. He's been a chameleon...going back to the 80's.

One of my favorite early roles was in "State of Grace" with a cast worthy of his performance.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Apropos of nothing but I find myself watching old reruns on INSP. Actually not necessarily watching but having on for background noise. Mostly a result of being tired of Fox News which was my previous choice.

Anyway, one show I've now caught a few episodes of is called "Cheyenne." It starred Clint Walker. He was a soldier of fortune of sorts. A military veteran who roamed the Old West by himself looking for adventure and meting out justice.

I don't know if the Clint Walker character had any influence on the creation of Jack Reacher. Maybe none. But it does make me wonder if Mr Grant wasn't influenced by this show.

I guess we can wonder the same thing about "Renegade" with Lorenzo Lamas....

I used to read Spenser religiously as they came out. God Save the Child, Mortal Stakes, and Early Autumn are some of my favorites.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

9mm 95gr subsonics

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    9mm 95gr subsonics
    British-born author-speak for “.380acp.”
    The most powerful and harmful influence Trump has had on our politics…has been the effect on his opponents. They have been triggered into an orgy of self-mutilation—eager to amputate their own history and disfigure their own political traditions.

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Huge Spenser fan. I watched the series off and on, and always enjoyed it. I remember watching one of the TV movie versions and noted in the credits "Based on the book Pale Kings And Princes" and I said hmmmmm. The following weekend I was in the mall at the bookstore and found it and I was hooked. The Godwulf Manuscript was written the year after I was born, and by the time I was out of college I had read everything published in the series to date. I don't remember where the mustard fell off the hot dog, but Parker kinda locked the characters into the series so well that as he he kept pumping out books and cashing cheques they became more....superhuman?

pat
    It's like WEB Griffin's series Badge of Honor. He wrote the first book in the early 1970's (under a different name). Story centers around the Philly PD at the time. He wrote seven more books, all on a reasonable timeline. Then book 8 comes out and all of the characters get picked up transported to the 2000's. His son was helping write the books now.

I joke that I have the rule of seven. Few if any authors can carry a series past seven books without coming off the rails.

Site Supporter
    The Spenser books fell apart at the end. The endless worship of Susan as a goddess was starting to grate and the endless quips in almost every line of dialogue. The gun usage was ridiculous as when Spenser had to go to a major fight with a lever action and Hawk kept toting a 44 mag for effect. The description of this guy or that guy being a superhuman level shot, yeah, right.

The introduction of some awful cliche of a native-American - what were you thinking?

The post-death books even worse.

The Reacher actor played Hawk in the execrable Titans superhero series. Don't watch it!!

User Tag List