Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another Wrinkle in the Supply Chain

Wait. You mean to tell me that a federal agency is staffed with political cronies who would get fired for conflicts of interest in the real world. I’m shocked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    The last thing I heard was that the military is pretty much hard against LightSquared and since the GPS constellation is theirs by some statute, their opinion has a lot of weight. Almost everything, from shipping companies to bail bondsmen, uses GPS and crippling the system so a bunch of hedge-fund guys can make money, will run the FCC (and them) through a political buzzsaw.

Ligado was previously known as LightSquared, and an earlier version of the company's plan was rejected by the FCC in 2012.
    https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...military-says/

LightSquared was never licensed by the FCC according to this article. It looks like they're back and up to their old tricks.

GPS signals are so weak that they can be affected by solar flares.
    Last edited by Borderland; 11-02-2021 at 05:59 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

The 5G network deployment in the U.S. starting on December 5 is in the 3700 to 3800-MHz bands then later in the 3700 to 3980-MHz bands. Radio altimeters use the 4200 to 4400-MHz band

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    The 5G network deployment in the U.S. starting on December 5 is in the 3700 to 3800-MHz bands then later in the 3700 to 3980-MHz bands. Radio altimeters use the 4200 to 4400-MHz band
    Did you read the piece Stephanie linked to in the OP?

Because it explains what the band frequencies are...

And then explains that the FAA is concerned, aviation groups are concerned, and that Canada is sufficiently concerned it has already banned 5G towers near major airports.

I'm not an expert in aviation, altimeters, or radio bands. But the FCC has a history of sucking ass at its job and the FAA has a history of actually not sucking too bad at its job. In a situation of picking between the two, I'm opting for the FAA to be better at their job.

At this point, we'll simply have to see what the FAA does with regards to its rulemaking scheme and how Telecomm and Aviation Groups can respond.

I couldn't get the OP's link to open, I used this link instead: https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-n...r-interference

In other countries, bands from 3300 to 4200 MHz are already deployed, according to the FAA, and some “have implemented temporary technical, regulatory, and operational mitigations, including temporary proximity and power restrictions.” The FAA added, “There have not yet been proven reports of harmful interference due to wireless broadband operations internationally, although this issue is continuing to be studied.”

User Tag List