Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Click if you hate ticks

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I treated my hiking duds this morning, they’re hanging in the garage to dry. My roommate looked at the bottle and said that she was afraid that that stuff would have a cancer risk. My response was I am more worried about Zika virus, West Nile virus, and all the other shit that the mosquitoes and ticks are carrying.
    It's supposed to be safe once dry. I've also read that your liver can clear it from your body faster than your skin can absorb it.

I'm more concerned with DEET. You know, the stuff you spray directly on your skin that can also melt plastic?

Chris

If Im not mistaken one of our members (a veterinarian, IIRC) has Alpha-Gal syndrome.

As an aside, I helped dig an embedded tick out from the dog's chest yesterday afternoon. It didn't go very well. (Dog was fine, and a trooper about it, but we're watching for reactions for the next few weeks.)

I have an active hatred for the things.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    All of my civil enforcement deputies have at least one issued can of Permethrin in in their vehicles.
    Let a rental unit sit abandoned a few weeks in the summer before the writ of eviction comes through and there were animals in the house. Open the door to clear the premises and your taupe uniform trousers turn black from the knees down with fleas.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    All of my civil enforcement deputies have at least one issued can of Permethrin in in their vehicles.
    Let a rental unit sit abandoned a few weeks in the summer before the writ of eviction comes through and there were animals in the house. Open the door to clear the premises and your taupe uniform trousers turn black from the knees down with fleas.
    Great, now I have an itch...a full body itch.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post

Somehow missed this until today. It's yet another example of better loving through chemistry.

Thanks, LL.
    "We are the domestic pets of a human zoo we call civilization."

Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    If you’re wearing shorts it’s “I’ve never been in a place with so many shin high spider webs [looks down] Oh shit!, those aren’t spider webs.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    One of the occupational hazards of K9 is that your dog takes you into some disgusting backyards. Some of them are infested with Ticks and guess what your police dog brings home. There was one year we got overrun with Ticks. I was having the bug guy over weekly. They were on my personal dogs. Several ended up on me. They were in the house. Fortunately it was close to triple digits. The summer heat ended it.
    When I was in Maryland this year hunting turkeys I was super careful about ticks. I was staying with a buddy and every day he was finding ticks, so my wife would give me the once over before getting into the shower. I didn't get one tick on me, but he was getting them every day for a week. I then pointed out that his Chesapeake retriever slept with them every night and I bet that's where they were coming from. You should have seen his wife freak out even though she's the one that treats the dog like a fur baby. Turned out she had several ticks on her as well. This was a new to them dog that spent time in the woods every day. The old Chessy never left the deck on most days, or went straight to the pond.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Another reason to hate DEET...

It is my understanding that DEET is a fish repellant. Not so good if you're trying to avoid bugs and fish.

Chris
    I have caught thousands of salmon, trout and grayling while slathered in DEET. I've never seen an issue other than DEET eating fishing line and reel handles.
    Last edited by AKDoug; 07-06-2021 at 06:03 PM.

Reading this thread brought to mind the case of a college girlfriend who had been an exchange student in Brazil in high school, and managed to get bit in the back of the thigh. By a botfly.
    Yeah. It's been 30 years, and I just got a case of the squicks...
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    If Im not mistaken one of our members (a veterinarian, IIRC) has Alpha-Gal syndrome.

As an aside, I helped dig an embedded tick out from the dog's chest yesterday afternoon. It didn't go very well. (Dog was fine, and a trooper about it, but we're watching for reactions for the next few weeks.)

I have an active hatred for the things.
    If you really have to dig it out, you can try the Vaseline or nail polish tricks to see if it will withdraw to breath.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    If you really have to dig it out, you can try the Vaseline or nail polish tricks to see if it will withdraw to breath.
    Right. I understand that most of those techniques are flawed because they force the tick to vomit before it withdraws, putting all the microbial badness into the host's body.

In this case, the majority of the critter stayed stuck. We are packing the wound site with an epsom salt paste a couple times a day at the vet's suggestion, and watching. So far, so good.
    He's also getting triple anti-biotic ointment applied twice daily.

User Tag List