Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: There's just something about a 20" A2

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    I've run multiple biathlons with an A2 bouncing around on my back.
    Do you have a support system like the winter biathlon folks use or do you just use a regular sling? I've been thinking about having an AR built for Run & Gun.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Do you have a support system like the winter biathlon folks use or do you just use a regular sling? I've been thinking about having an AR built for Run & Gun.
    Nope, just a 2pt sling. I prefer to have the option to use a sling as a shooting aid and be able to easily transition if the stage requires.

My take on the 20”:

Name:  BCM SDM-R 20%22 2.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  31.1 KB

20", 1:8 stainless steel Douglas fluted match barrel finished with three coats of Moly-Resin, match-grade, two-stage KAC trigger, Daniel Defense ultra lightweight free-float forearm rail, Harris bipod, MATech back-up iron sight, BCM bolt carrier group, BCM lower.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Not old enough to be retro cool, but old enough that nobody has any interest in it. Not to mention it's probably the most disliked model (for good reason) in the historical M4/M16 lineage.

But, there is one option if you're willing to pay: https://www.fulton-armory.com/farifl...e-3-2-2-7.aspx
    $1500 with NM trigger.

@Sensei

How do you get the top rail cover off if you want to use the rail?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    @Sensei

If he didn't want to dismount his sights, he could do like a joe of mine did - Use a Gerber to cut the rail cover off and scratch the fuck out of the RAS underneath.
    IIRC the statement of charges for the rail cover was something like $28, but that was the carbine-length flavor.

I vaguely remember a rep from knights saying not to put covers on the top rail due to heating issues. Is that a thing? That was 15 years ago so I may be misremembering.

@Sensei

The top rail is a Magpul XT rail cover (https://magpul.com/firearm-accessori...obal_color=118). It peals off.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    If he didn't want to dismount his sights, he could do like a joe of mine did - Use a Gerber to cut the rail cover off and scratch the fuck out of the RAS underneath.
    IIRC the statement of charges for the rail cover was something like $28, but that was the carbine-length flavor.
    Now, do I strike you as that kinda guy? On second thought, don’t answer that.

Site Supporter
    Had to dig a bit for these.

This was/is my hand-picked M16A2 from my previous unit's arms room. We had some M4A1's but not enough to go around, so I happily took an A2 since we were mobilizing as some straight turbo-fobbit logistics dweebs. That and I'm a nerd and I gushed pretty excitedly when I saw this rifle.

So this M16A2 started out as a GM Hydra-Matic M16A1 and the Anniston Army Depot arsenal marks on the right side of the receiver indicate an arsenal rebuild in 1985 and again in 1994. The upper is an EMCO M16A2 upper which had notoriously bad barrels, hence the re-barreling with an FN barrel (thought to be the '94 rebuild) and the BCG was an FN bolt with a replacement gas key featuring the worst staking job ever on an obviously ancient Colt C-marked carrier. Total parts bin mutt of a gun.

I wish I'd taken better pics of the whole rifle. She was kinda haggard, but in that 'honest wear' kind of way that can't be duplicated by anything other than honest use.

But I shot a personal best on open sights, a 38 out of 40, the very first time I qualified with this rifle. She had a 40 in her, I just jerked a shot low on a 'fast freddy' 50M target and I shot just over one of the 150M's because I got in a hurry.

I'd pay an utterly insane price to take her home.

Edit: Yes, that's my UCP pattern Woobie from 2008 and yes, that's a BFG sling I used with the A2 buttstock adapter to great effect on that rifle for the whole three weeks I carried it, before being forced to trade it for a SAW since they made me a tower guard NCOIC and our rank-heavy HHC indicated that crew served got carried by NCO's. I was okay with that part. Wasn't so okay with the heat in Kuwait or Iran's grand blue-balling all of us in Jan 2020 but that's a story for another thread.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by JRB; 06-02-2021 at 07:32 PM.

User Tag List