Thread: Suggestions Needed On High Quality Corrective Lenses

Suggestions Needed On High Quality Corrective Lenses

I just got back from the eye doctor earlier today, with a prescription for corrective lenses.

I want to get a good set of lenses and frames, and am kind of looking at RayBan and Oakley frames/lenses. Ideally, I'd like to get a set of frames that don't have large blind spots (like a lot of the polycarbonate frames).

I'll likely be wearing these glasses all the time, and definitely while shooting, so if possible I'd like to get ballistic lenses. I noticed that RayBan offers almost exactly what I'm looking for, however they stated that they only offer the wire frames with ballistic lenses to military and government customers. What gives?

If I have to choose between the light wire frames, and the ballistic lenses, I guess the ballistic lenses have to be first on the chopping block...

Any suggestions or recommendations for me? Thanks in advance!

- Dan_S
    Last edited by Dan_S; 02-28-2013 at 09:01 PM.

I chose to get a fashionable pair of glasses with huge blind spots, because I wear safety glasses when I shoot anyway. Plus I look nerdy, which in my line pays the bills.
    Ignore Alien Orders

I wear a pair of Oakley prescription's that I've had for awhile that are wire called the Chisel, unfortunately the style is discontinued. Out of the current styles they offer its most like the Casing. Here's there current offerings if you haven't seen them all.

http://www.oakley.com/store/products...iption-eyewear

Thank you both for the responses so far.

ChuckSS - how do you find the field of vision to be, with such a seemingly small lens?

I wear a very thick prescription, so most choices aren't available. But I have elected to go Oakley for shades since they are US made. RayBan is now owned by Sunglass Hut and they are made in China and Italy. The quality has fallen off dramatically in the last five years.

I have the Oakley Socket 2.0's and whatever lenses they gave me when I said "give me the best shit ya got". Quite pleased with them relative to other lenses in the past. The frames are just frames and based on my vision insurance they were $30 more than the store brand or never heard of frames. From what I have seen most places can get the same lenses no matter the frames, just ask for "the best" and ask why they are the best and see what happens. More often than not the safety/ballistic ratings are the same. I did not get any special papers but per the literature what I got met a bunch of stuff.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by nonameisgood View Post
    I wear a very thick prescription, so most choices aren't available. But I have elected to go Oakley for shades since they are US made. RayBan is now owned by Sunglass Hut and they are made in China and Italy. The quality has fallen off dramatically in the last five years.
    Actually, in 2007, Oakley was acquired by Luxottica, which owns a damn large share of the eyewear market, such as the aforementioned Oakley and Ray-Ban, along with other brands such as Persol, Oliver Peoples, Revo, ESS, etc., and runs both Sunglass Hutt and Pearle Vision, along with a bunch of in-house optometry centers, such as Target, Sears, etc. I'm have my doubts that the ownership change would have improved Oakley's quality while chasing the almighty dollar, but I do believe that most, if not all, of Oakley's sunglasses are still made in the USA; not too sure about the prescription eyewear, though, some preliminary Googling shows people being upset about Chinese prescription Oakleys frames.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 03-01-2013 at 01:54 AM.

Since I'm nearsighted, the field of vision is fine. If you're farsighted, it might be an issue.

I actually just got a pair of prescription Oakleys yesterday. My frames are the Bottle Rocket 4.0 and stickered at $190 at LensCrafters. I just asked for a quality lense with an anti-glare coating. After my insurance, the package was only about $200 total. So far I'm very pleased. I looked a a pair of RayBans but they felt so cheap and brittle compared to the Oakleys. YMMV. I've been a fan of Oakleys products for a while, they always seem to last.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckSS View Post
    Since I'm nearsighted, the field of vision is fine. If you're farsighted, it might be an issue.
    Yup, I'm farsighted with astigmatism....

I stopped by a local Oakley dealer today, and looked at the Crosshair 2.0 and Whisker frames. The Whisker was just a touch smaller than I'd like, with the Crosshair being just a touch bigger than I'd like, but with excellent peripheral vision.... Decisions, decisions....

I'll think on it over the weekend, look for more advice, do some more research online, and probably stop back in early next week once I've cashed my tax return...

I think that all the Oakley frames I looked at today were made in China... So much for spending $200+ on frames and another $200+ on lenses that are US made...

User Tag List