Page 18 of 53 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: St Paul/Minneapolis Riots Aftermath

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    MSP along with Seattle and Portland's commercial real estate is dying. This will also creep into the residential real estate market like high rise apartments. Who wants to live or work in a place that has civil unrest? Mobs in the streets trying to stop your vehicle and assault you isn't conducive to a vibrant downtown economy. Businesses will move out first then the residential inhabitants will follow.
    Well, this will have the happy result of killing off any of that nasty gentrification. So, the Woke & Stupid can go back to feeling smug satisfaction that the beloved 'authenticity' of the parts of the city they never really visit is untouched.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Well, this will have the happy result of killing off any of that nasty gentrification. So, the Woke & Stupid can go back to feeling smug satisfaction that the beloved 'authenticity' of the parts of the city they never really visit is untouched.
    It's a bit weird. I have a friend who managed a high end restaurant in Seattle. $120 would get you the best steak in town, good service, a few drinks, valet parking and fresh baked desert. Lots of pro athletes and high rollers ate there. They opened in a really run down district in Seattle and built a pretty good business. The area became upscale with high rise apartment's (I know some one who lives there) and it became a desirable part of Seattle to live. Well, not so much anymore. The restaurant moved it's location because of homeless street people panhandling in front of the restaurant and shit on the sidewalk. That area is now reverting to a 70's urban wasteland. I know because I saw it in the 70's. Full cycle. Soon it will be nothing but druggies and homeless. And probably people like this.
    Last edited by Borderland; 03-22-2021 at 09:20 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    It's a bit weird. I have a friend who managed a high end restaurant in Seattle. $120 would get you the best steak in town, good service, a few drinks, valet parking and fresh baked desert. Lots of pro athletes and high rollers ate there. They opened in a really run down district in Seattle and built a pretty good business. The area became upscale with high rise apartment's (I know some one who lives there) and it became a desirable part of Seattle to live. Well, not so much anymore. The restaurant moved it's location because of homeless street people panhandling in front of the restaurant and shit on the sidewalk. That area is now reverting to a 70's urban wasteland. I know because I saw it in the 70's. Full cycle. Soon it will be nothing but druggies and homeless. And probably people like this.
    Belltown? Oy. Those condos and apartments were expensive by area standards 15 years ago. I guess they are now expensive and unsaleable.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Belltown? Oy. Those condos and apartments were expensive by area standards 15 years ago. I guess they are now expensive and unsaleable.
    Yep. Belltown. Mugged in da streetz. Maybe in your parking garage on your way to your Jag sedan.
    Last edited by Borderland; 03-22-2021 at 09:52 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

And this indirectly related article reminded me this is also happening when the "Hybrid Work Model" has become a thing.

https://fordauthority.com/2021/03/fo...ith-employees/

Site Supporter
    What's it like to get put in jail in Seattle?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    From here, it would appear that it’s a pretty rare occurrence.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Not that bad. SPD is very professional and the jail is run pretty well. They can't help what the DA does with the people that shouldn't be let out.

I hope it stays that way with Best resigning and all. Seems like they have enough institutional inertia to keep that going but that can change quickly.

Site Supporter
    In Texas we refer to those inmates who are bad about fighting as tush hogs. These aren't run of the mill punks. They occupy tanks with the other 3 time losers and felons with long records. If I got locked up here, I would prefer being in with this bunch. They are older. Plus I taught most of them. They would give me a place of honor. All jails have tush hogs. I wonder what jailers in other states call them.

Hmmmm

This article makes me wonder about which people in the local power structure have deep insurance interests.

https://freebeacon.com/coronavirus/i...-lives-matter/

"At first glance, the stance adopted by insurance giants might seem like a case of ideology trumping interests. Why would these corporations donate to a movement that had cost them billions, unless they had decided to put social justice over shareholders?

But something funny happened: Shareholders didn't lose money from the unrest. Instead, insurance stocks rose in the face of riot-related payouts. Chubb and AIG finished 2020 in about the same financial condition they entered it, overcoming a COVID-induced shock that temporarily wiped out their gains from the previous year.

That may be because the insurance industry stands to profit from the destruction in the long run, one economist suggested—especially as many of the destroyed businesses were underinsured.

In Minneapolis, for example, insurance covered only half the city's losses, which were concentrated among immigrant- and minority-owned stores. That will increase demand for property insurance and drive up rates, according to R.J. Lehmann, a senior fellow of insurance policy at the International Center for Law and Economics.

It's never good for insurers to have to pay out claims, Lehmann told the Free Beacon, but it is good for them if businesses are worried about civil unrest. "Higher uncertainty makes more people want to buy coverage," he said, "and makes them willing to pay more for coverage."
    This is absolutely diabolical if true.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

User Tag List