Page 16 of 65 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: LL's revolver quest, got a WC GP100

Affectation may be overstating it a bit.

I carry revolvers more than autos for several reasons. Ive always shot revolvers better, theyve mostly been capable of true match grade accuracy as compared to most autos other than a National Match Colt I carried for a while, though no matter how much I shot it i still never shot it as consistently well as Smith revolvers.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Please say that BE86 works for all of those.
    Alliant has data on their sight
    Attached Images Attached Images   

As for affection.

Well yes. It is. Im ok with that. I can shoot and reload autos faster just as accurately.

I think they're more comfortable to carry but thats not that important.

I also dont think a revolver is handicapping me in the real world. Even against 3+ assailants. Tactics, movement, violence of action trump bullets ime.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    As for affection.

Well yes. It is. Im ok with that.
    I can shoot and reload autos faster just as accurately.

I think they're more comfortable to carry but thats not that important.

I also dont think a revolver is handicapping me in the real world. Even against 3+ assailants. Tactics, movement, violence of action trump bullets ime.
    Im on board for affection. I like revolvers more than autos. Affectation, not sure.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Please say that BE86 works for all of those.
    BE86 is the new Unique. Only meters good and is cleaner.
    It's my "sleeper" powder. Get a couple of 8lb jugs before the word gets out to the preppers because if I could only have a single powder for all handgun calibers and loads, BE86 would be the one.

Call me affectionate.

All I can add to the topic is that I’d rather have the average gunstore commando shooting at me with a Glock than Caleb or any of the other wheelie die-hards in this thread shooting at me with a revolver.

That said, when the world gets really imperfect, it’ll be a Glock backing up the longs and friends. Until then, I sorta like this LCR.

Let’s see here, we’ve done this topic, and the 9mm vs .357/.40/.45 today... what are we missing? Shall I start another target focus thread for the gun forum hat trick?

Site Supporter

Not looking to pick a fight...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    You're making a huge assumption and painting with a very broad brush. There are folks who can't manage a semi-auto for various reasons. Not everyone is the square range operator found on gun forums either. Some have disabilities and or physical limitations that make a revolver a more viable choice than the latest wiz-bang wonder-9.

Since folks have been defending themselves and society for a lot of years with the lowly revolver you probably shouldn't sneer quit so loudly.

Dave
    I'm absolutely not looking to pick a fight but, I'm curious to know what "...disabilities and or physical limitations that make a revolver a more viable choice..." I know Joe Sledge could run a 1911 very well with one arm, until he went all effing homicidal/suicidal crazy. Thanks very much. ELN

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming Shooter View Post
    I'm absolutely not looking to pick a fight but, I'm curious to know what "...disabilities and or physical limitations that make a revolver a more viable choice..." I know Joe Sledge could run a 1911 very well with one arm, until he went all effing homicidal/suicidal crazy. Thanks very much. ELN
    I’ve had plenty of people come through my CCW classes that struggle with pulling the slide back on a semi-auto. Much easier to pop the cylinder on a wheel gun. Sometimes a different technique can help with the slide thing, but not always.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    people come through my CCW classes that struggle with pulling the slide back on a semi-auto
    For sure, petite female student shows up with a brand new S&W Shield....I know we are going to spend more time on learning manipulation and general gun handling than actual shooting....

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    ...I know we are going to spend more time on learning manipulation and general gun handling than actual shooting....
    Taking you a bit out of context but I wish everyone did this, to be honest. Hunting with the eldest has given me much appreciation for the single-shot, break action rifle. Loading in the dark with cold hands and a world of thought in one's head is much simpler, more robust, and easier than any other design. Unloading for legal transport likewise. Checking that the gun is in a safe condition for carry and movement is as simple as noting the hammer is down. The barrel snaps off the receiver to absolutely show the gun has been cleared and is inoperable in its current state. While chamber checking, the barrel is also detached for the moment. No freely detachable parts to forget or pop out.

At the range, every shot after the first is a reload drill. The design limitations force the user to go through every permutation of gun handling. Except decocking where a good mentor can throw that in.

Revolvers are very similar when it comes to learning to live with a gun. Which also means they are easy to live with at higher skill levels. Low round count drill? You have to administratively unload and reload between reps. Chamber checks are same deal as the break action rifle or even just looking for case heads. Cylinder closed and hammer down? It's ready to carry. No magazines to maintain, load, unload, vet for function, transport, and store. You load and unload one thing, not three (chamber, magazine into the well, and cartridges into the mag for an auto).

Autos versus revolvers have been thoroughly debated for over a century where shooting performance and marksmanship learning curves are concerned. But when it comes to safely living with a gun, I'm increasingly of the opinion that DA revolvers are the simplest and most robust defensive handgun to date. And I think it is an even more important comparative metric than minimizing reload times and maximizing continuity of fire.

I can live with an autopistol just fine and have for most of my life. But going back to revolver carry has come with a much streamlined and simplified experience that is hard to explain but a pleasure nonetheless. We all walk our own path in this life and I'd say that choosing a revolver in the year of our overlords 2020 isn't necessarily an affectation or display of codgery. As with everything, and more than comparing any auto to another bottom-feeder, it is a compromise featuring very valid terms.

I gave up 54% of my onboard capacity, the performance of full power JHP, 0.044" of starting diameter per bullet, reload speed, and acceptance as a modern human when I shelved my HK. But I gained a ton of concealability to avoid being made in the delicate NPE of our social circles, comfort, eased overhead, ability to hand of my gun to the wife/kid/family/friend, ease of ball and dummy shooting, great dryfire convenience, and got to sate the sentimental part of my soul. I did not just, though it does bring me pleasure, ditch the flat gun for Joe Friday's rig.

User Tag List