Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Worst cuisines?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    All UK food, that includes Ireland (never had anything Welsh though, or if I did and didn't notice, go back to the first phrase). My first experience with Irish food was white bread sandwich with beans provided by the family I was staying with. Spotted Dick is an uncomprehensible experience because 1) it doesn't taste like much of anything called dessert, 2) when you're 13 you're wondering if someone's playing a prank on you. On the other hand, I learned to play Black Jack during that stay and it's good to be the "bank".

But the very worse I have ever experienced is soviet food. Not Russian, I have no idea what Russian food tastes like, I mean soviet. How can one make something that has no taste, taste bad and make you vomit, I'll never know.
    Mainstream Soviet Russian food was mostly horrible. Primarily just sustenance. Unsurprising, given the paucity of ingredients and a complete lack of culinary imagination. Russian food is different. Also not my favorite but not as culturally sterile as Soviet food.

Site Supporter
    I went to the University of Bristol in the UK for a conference. We stayed in the university's dorms and ate there. The food was so bad that the scholars from the USSR thought is was bad. This was in the 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I like food from Sichuan and Beijing (and some but not all Taiwanese food; not that Taiwan is China), but not a fan of Shanghai food either. I’m sure there are a whole bunch of regional cuisines I don’t even know about.
    There is cuisine from Shanghai that IS great though like xiao long bao or sheng jian bao, though for the latter I found there are two varieties and I hate the one with really thick skin. Other types of Shanghainese food can be hit/miss for me in general.

I am gonna unfriend you all, or most of you. Wait, this is not a facebook.

While I don't think there is a Russian cuisine per se, I think it is an compilation of ethnic cuisines of the former Union, whatever you call it, it is awesome. Especially when mom's cooking. Confirmed multiple times and beyond reasonable doubt when parents visit here and I treat my US friends and co-workers to her food.

Besides that, I devoured haggis, and everything else I ate in Scotland, breakfast oatmeal cooked on whiskey was something, as many other things, and every meal in London was memorable including what was supposed to be typical British food. Although that was hard to find in that cosmopolitan environment.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Icelandic: bland fish.

Quote Originally Posted by KellyinAvon View Post
    Icelandic: bland fish.
    Try the fermented Greenland shark. I hear it's quite special, and not bland.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    When I was in Bosnia in the mid-to-late 90s
    'Zat you, Skippy?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Whoever invented shoestring fries should be drowned in very stale and hot cooking oil.

(Just my opinion,)
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

The worst cuisine is Jalapeño. I don't know where the Republic of Jalapeño is, but it needs to be nuked from orbit. Twice.

The second worst is Army Chow. When I was in the Air Force, my brother was in the Army. I ate with him at the Army chowhall and was amazed at how thoroughly unappetizing they could make food. It is possible the ingredients they used wasn't food to begin with. At least they offered two varieties- Dinty Moore brown and grey
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    The second worst is Army Chow.
    When I was at Ft. Riley, they opened a new chow hall on main post. It was where the field grade officers there as part of NATO stuff went. We routinely drove down from our area ("The Hill") with two chow halls in walking distance to go to that one. They had the first "build your own loaded potato bar" I ever saw. I was impressed.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List