Page 26 of 48 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: How to get a Reliable Hard Use 1911?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Ah yes, there is that one. I've been impressed enough with the Duty Coat on my Valor that I wouldn't consider buying a DW in bare stainless. I think it's well worth the extra freight.

I've started to hunger for a Vigil Commander in 9mm. I've always been firmly against 1911s in 9mm, but the Springfield RO we have in 9mm runs like a scalded dog with minimal care and with any magazine you care to name. (although it is going to need a new extractor soon) It's started to bring me around to the concept.
    There's a couple of guys I know, one who works for me, that have flat worn out their wrists, elbows and arms shooting thousands of rounds of .45 ACP out of 1911's. For them, the 9mm guns make sense for practice to avoid further wear on the body. Before I had my right shoulder re-done, shooting a USP 45 all day was a chore.

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    There's a couple of guys I know, one who works for me, that have flat worn out their wrists, elbows and arms shooting thousands of rounds of .45 ACP out of 1911's. For them, the 9mm guns make sense for practice to avoid further wear on the body. Before I had my right shoulder re-done, shooting a USP 45 all day was a chore.
    That's exactly who I am.

Today, I put 200 rounds through my Valor and it was fine, but it's been about two weeks since the last time. Between the two, the 9mm 1911s been getting a workout. I hit the range on an average of twice a week, at that rate a steady diet of things that begin with four become painful pretty quickly.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Does anyone fit them on similar price point production guns? My unscientific sampling over the last few years included handing probably a dozen Colts and Springfield Armory production 1911s in my fave LGS. All of them in a $700-$900 street price range. I've run into maybe a quarter or third of the Colts that had a mush safety on/off feel that was no good. I don't recall a single SA gun that wasn't positive snap on/snap off. Luck of the draw maybe.
    Hard to give a definitive answer because people will often define "fit" differently. I mean, are we talking about an oversized part that requires addressing every area or a part that is pulled out of a bin and maybe lightly dressed with a file to allow proper contact with the sear? For me, and for the sake of discussion, I define "fit" it as the end result as felt in the hand of the shooter. So allow me to offer the following...

There are many 1911s on the market that have a fit commensurate to the price and as such offer an appropriate value. But, everyones idea of "good fit" or "right fit" or "perfect fit" is different. To that end I often see guns that present an appropriate value but still generally have what I find to be a less than "perfect" fit... as with everything 1911 related "good", "better", or "perfect" generally cost more money and in that order.
    Heirloom Preicison
    www.heirloomprecision.com

Once you get over a threshold into high quality guns, I believe the majority of stoppages are caused by defective/irregular ammo and not the gun.

I think you are being too hard on yourself with your obviously hi quality guns.

I've noticed conspicuously that DocGKR and some others don't really talk about Wilson Combat when they talk about reliable serious-use 1911s. I've often wondered why that is. I'm not looking to get a super-tight match target 1911, but one that is as reliable as it gets. If you talk to Nighthawk Custom or something, can you specifically request that they build your 1911 not for match-grade accuracy but for complete reliability?

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Ah yes, there is that one. I've been impressed enough with the Duty Coat on my Valor that I wouldn't consider buying a DW in bare stainless. I think it's well worth the extra freight.

I've started to hunger for a Vigil Commander in 9mm. I've always been firmly against 1911s in 9mm, but the Springfield RO we have in 9mm runs like a scalded dog with minimal care and with any magazine you care to name. (although it is going to need a new extractor soon) It's started to bring me around to the concept.
    I finally bought my first Dan Wesson a few weeks ago: a 9mm Vigil CCO. It’s been perfect from the first shot, and my wife wants one now. Dan Wesson 1911’s are going to cost me a few bucks over the Summer! I’ve stripped the CCO completely twice (OCD), and it’s really well built. Not seeing MIM parts is a pleasant change, and I always replace that stuff anyway. The Vigil won’t lock back with MecGar mags, but Dan Wesson and Wilson Combat mags lock back tight.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GlorifiedMailman View Post
    I've noticed conspicuously that DocGKR and some others don't really talk about Wilson Combat when they talk about reliable serious-use 1911s. I've often wondered why that is. I'm not looking to get a super-tight match target 1911, but one that is as reliable as it gets. If you talk to Nighthawk Custom or something, can you specifically request that they build your 1911 not for match-grade accuracy but for complete reliability?
    Nighthawk would probably tell you the guns they build are both accurate and reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by GlorifiedMailman View Post
    I’ve stopped recommending Wilson in the past year or two. They’re just too inconsistent, for the money

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by preventec47 View Post
    Once you get over a threshold into high quality guns, I believe the majority of stoppages are caused by defective/irregular ammo and not the gun.

I think you are being too hard on yourself with your obviously hi quality guns.
    Based on ?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Based on ?
    Based on 20 years of reloading for .380, 9mm, 45, and 10mm and the fact that you like me and most others ( all that I have seen) use cheap range ammo or components
    instead of premium ammo for reliability testing. Go ahead and knock yourself out. No gun is going to outshoot a defective primer or the occasional mechanical hangup on the ammo makers assembly line. The gun industry loves guys like you to keep their profit margins high.

User Tag List