Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: EoTech Died/Need Recommendation

EoTech Died/Need Recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Aimpoint is a Swedish product for sure; Sig is Chinese (components imported from Holosun, I believe, and then assembled in US). You're not the first one who has asked for a Micro sight platform at a price point. And yes, the performance and quality is worth the money over the others and even more so now. Plus, see how many of those optics can or will be repaired by their source vendors. We're still repairing (at no cost) optics made in the 1990s. I'm not going to run on here, but the guys on here that know me, know I don't bullshit anybody. Aimpoint's quality, durability and longevity is well worth the price, especially when not made by what is basically slave labor.

As for the Chinese and the low-cost mentality they've addicted us to, I'm wondering if the lives of 9,000,000 plus Americans will have been worth it? This regime concealed, covered up and arrested folks who were warning about this in December/January in the PRC. They intentionally put all of us and our loved ones at risk of our lives. That number, by the way is based on 70% of 330,000,000 being infected (the number feared to get sick) with a 4% fatality rate. We are teetering on the edge of complete economic disaster and a loss of life we've never had a frame of reference for, directly due to the actions of the PRC. My figures are worst case ones, but are based on the raw data coming out every day. Barring a miracle of some kind of broadly available treatment, we're going to lose millions to this. Still want Chinese optics and "stuff"??
    Not worth it to me, and many others I’m willing to bet.

And I’m having trouble connecting covid to the companies that are involved with making those red dots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wake27; 03-20-2020 at 06:56 PM.

While anger at the Chinese gov with regard to COVID-19 is entirely correct and warranted, I’m confused as to what that has to do with Holosun as a company?

If they, for example, demonstrably stole tech or something like that I could absolutely see boycotting them, but if we avoid purchasing from any company whose government has done something underhanded or shitty, I’m afraid we wouldn’t be left with terribly many options.

several years back the debate seemed to always center around Eotech vs Aimpoint, then Eotech pretty much shit themselves and are only now trying to claw their way out, and the Chinese knockoffs got better about the same time people got more accustomed to paying less for everything. Guys will complain that they can't afford an Aimpoint but they'll have 4 China turds on various guns that add up to more than the cost of the Aimpoint they can't afford, not to mention the cost of all those other guns. I'd rather have 1 gun with an Aimpoint than 3 with China turds (and I own some China turds too, but I also have at least one gun with an Aimpoint ). Same bullshit for lights, IMO.

My favorite Eotech story, and lightbulb moment for me, was after spending a bunch of time in a bunch of classes taught by a bunch of "Tier 1" guys that spoke highly of the Eotech, and me not being able to reconcile their opinions against my own experience, finally one of them (in fact this was probably one of the last Tier 1 classes I took) said "yeah, the Eotech is great. yeah, they require a little maintenance, tug on the battery connectors, replace them when you have to, keep fresh batteries in them, check your zero against your irons..." when I realized that (a) in his former life he was generally picking the fight, not defending against being attacked and (b) it wasn't actually him doing any of that shit it was likely some armorer somewhere doing 90% of that stuff and more just to keep the Eotech running."

I don't believe that Eotechs just sponaneously combust or anything. when you compare them straight up to an Aimpoint (all of my context for this is at least 5 years old) you're going to see 2-10x the failure rate. for example, in all the classes I took in all the matches I shot in and ran, I never saw an Aimpoint go down for anything other than a battery. I saw countless Eotechs just simply stop. Yes, it may well be that 1% of Aimpoints fail and 5% of Eotechs did, but in my practical experience the fat that it was a 5x higher failure rate registered a lot more than the fact that the Eotech "only" had a 5% failure rate.

Lastly, as far as transitioning from a window to a tube, that's about as dumb as "my 14.5 inch pinned gun handles better than a 16 inch". That's a living room problem, not a range/real-world problem.

My astigmatism doesn't show up on H-2, T-2, ACRO or CompM5. I see a bit of distortion on PRO and CompM4, but if you're focusing on the dot and/or are shooting with an eye closed, you're not using the sight efficiently or correctly.
    So I have heard. However, I remain dubious in the value of something looking like a cross-section of the galaxy having any real use to me as a sighting device, unless I should need an aiming device for a rock-thrower, and until the company is ready to admit that some of us *might* have a legitimate issue, I guess I’ll have to continue over-looking them for another option.

Just for the record; the two rifles I shoot most often are topped with Aimpoint red dots. One is an M4S on a Bobro mount. The other is an ACRO attached via a Reptilia mount.

The ACRO is intended for pistol but I've found it to work pretty well on the rifle. It is small and lightweight. Placement of the illumination controls work well. The dot is a little big for precision at distance but it still works okay with the brightness turned down a bit.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    So I have heard. However, I remain dubious in the value of something looking like a cross-section of the galaxy having any real use to me as a sighting device, unless I should need an aiming device for a rock-thrower, and until the company is ready to admit that some of us *might* have a legitimate issue, I guess I’ll have to continue over-looking them for another option.
    I've heard that it can be different for each person. My buddy really wanted a T-2 but couldn't get mine to work with his astigmatism a few weeks ago so he went with an Elcan instead. Of course I didn't tell him he was using the sight wrong so maybe that would've fixed everything.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    Another approach is to get your astigmatism corrected with contacts or other corrective lenses. Then you should see a clean dot, too.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Another approach is to get your astigmatism corrected with contacts or other corrective lenses. Then you should see a clean dot, too.
    That’s a definite option, but one I’d prefer to avoid by simply having Aimpoint figure out a more realistic solution. Like, why can’t they make an Eotech-like device that isn’t an Eotech?

I can’t be such an outlier with this issue, and really don’t see why I should wear corrective lenses just for the astigmatism that’s doesn’t have any effect on the rest of my life...but, shrug.

My astigmatism overwhelms the T2 I own as well. I’ve not been able to look through most red dot sights and actually see a circle. I’ve tried Aimpoint (M68 CCO, H1, T2, PRO), Trijicon (MRO, RMR), Holosun (507c), and Primary Arms (Advanced Microdot) red dots so far. The Trijicon RMR is the only one I’ve ever looked through and seen a clear, round dot. I thought that would mean the MRO would work for me but I tried one owned by a friend and found it suffered the same problems as most others. I would like to try an Eotech but don’t want to risk spending the money and finding it wanting like everything else.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    My astigmatism overwhelms the T2 I own as well. I’ve not been able to look through most red dot sights and actually see a circle. I’ve tried Aimpoint (M68 CCO, H1, T2, PRO), Trijicon (MRO, RMR), Holosun (507c), and Primary Arms (Advanced Microdot) red dots so far. The Trijicon RMR is the only one I’ve ever looked through and seen a clear, round dot. I thought that would mean the MRO would work for me but I tried one owned by a friend and found it suffered the same problems as most others. I would like to try an Eotech but don’t want to risk spending the money and finding it wanting like everything else.
    I think those are all true red dot sights vs actual holographics like the EOTechs. That difference is what makes them better for most people so it’s not just a brand thing.

User Tag List