Page 50 of 110 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast

Thread: Current state of the AK

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I think I'm about to order the standard
    PSAK-47 GF3 FORGED ZHUKOV RIFLE, GRAY
    Attachment 49894
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I always thought people liked the Magpul furniture. A lot of people converted Scorpions to use that stock.
    Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    The biggest draw to the AK-E (for me) is the FN CHF barrel for the purpose and ease of using a suppressor. If that's not a thing for you, I don't know that price difference is justifiable for your purposes.

I have no experience with magpul furniture, but the friends I have that use both the stock and handguards seem to be pleased. I think if you're used to long handguards on AR's that you would really enjoy the longer Zhukov handguard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    I have a couple Zhukov stocks and they're fine. The biggest downside to the Zhukov fore end is it does away with the standard hand guard retainer so if you don't like it there are few options for replacement. But it's a nice handguard so you'll probably like it fine enough.
    I went ahead and ordered the above today.

I do think that I might maybe one day want to have the ability to add a suppressor but not bad enough for a $240 premium plus waiting an indeterminate amount of time.

Turns out I maybe don't have any mags, but do have some limited ammo, so I guess I gotta get a good baker's dozen of mags now, at least.

Any guidance on what my best bet is for ammo? Just looking for relative range reliability, not too concerned with "effective" (although if there's something here that fits that description, ok). Something in the 1k round case quantity would be good I suppose.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Any guidance on what my best bet is for ammo? Just looking for relative range reliability, not too concerned with "effective" (although if there's something here that fits that description, ok). Something in the 1k round case quantity would be good I suppose.
    It seems that Barual is making the best steel cases cheap stuff on the market. This comes from several sources including AK Operator Union and the testing Recoil Magazine did a few years back. It can be found under the Barnual name or sold as Bear Ammo. I can confirm that the Brown Bear is surprisingly good in terms of accuracy and no duds in the case I have shot.

I had to buy a case of Wolf recently as being a proletariat in Kalifornia I am far more limited on what I can get. So far it’s been good as well with it and me and my rifle shooting about 4-5 MOA from sandbags.

Link to Recoil review https://www.recoilweb.com/7-62x39-ammo-test-101531.html

100 Yard Zero with Wolf Cheapo 122 grain ammo
    Name:  976C3391-6F41-4376-93EF-7D4A3F4C35FE.jpeg
Views: 633
Size:  21.1 KB
    Last edited by Suvorov; 03-15-2020 at 11:49 AM.

I went ahead and ordered the above today.

I do think that I might maybe one day want to have the ability to add a suppressor but not bad enough for a $240 premium plus waiting an indeterminate amount of time.

Turns out I maybe don't have any mags, but do have some limited ammo, so I guess I gotta get a good baker's dozen of mags now, at least.
    Nice. I'm glad you pulled the trigger and jumped back into the AK game. From what I've read (and seen on YT), the barrels on all PSA AK's have been reliably concentric, so you should have no issues suppressing it.

I've shot Wolf Military Classic and Brown Bear almost exclusively over the years. That's what I bought first, it worked, so I just kept buying out of habit Between those, and Barnaul, I don't think you can go wrong. Frankly, I'd grab anything cheap at this point. $199 a case, shipped, is generally the price I shop for. On Wednesday, people started buying up ammo in the most common calibers. I haven't looked for 7.62x39, but it will probably start selling quickly if it hasn't already. Gotta have ammo to protect the toilet paper I guess.

They brought back 8M3. It’s the only Russian HP that actually acts like a HP consistently. Otherwise Brown/Silver Bear 125gr SP is the other budget option that’s cheap enough to be dual purpose.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Rob Ski dropped an 8 almost 9 minute video Titled US made AK-WHY?

https://youtu.be/0ksYPK-jQKo
    Last edited by Vandal320; 03-15-2020 at 02:34 PM.

Minor update on my standard PSA gen 3 rifle. I got a cheapo side mount pic rail, put a cheap 1-4X non-daylight illuminated Chinese thing out of my big box of scopes on it and tried "what I could see" today. I zero'ed up at 50 yards and it would hold a 2" dot all day long at that distance. I proceeded to the 100 yard range where we have some 8", 6" rifle plates, and a 4" plate. Shooting the Monarch fmj stuff Academy sells from the bench, this thing will hold the 4" plate at that distance except for some called flyers. I should have put it on paper, but it was raining and I decided the steel would have to do instead of dealing with target wilt. The thing might well be a 2-3 moa gun with better ammo and a better shooter pulling the trigger with a better scope and mount.

Anyway, with me shooting, I can definitively say this gun is more accurate than any of the inexpensive ex-commie chrome lined barrel rifles I have owned. I am thinking the guys with FN barrels on their PSA shooting the better ammo are not at all exaggerating about the top end PSA guns being 2 moa accurate. I ran a couple hundred rounds through the Bulgarian poly mags again, nary a bobble.

This thing is quite a lot of fun and will likely get to ride to the range with couple mags nearly every trip this spring and summer just for fun and blastin after the serious shooting is done.

Rob s, I hope you enjoy yours as much.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    You are not making it easy to resist.

For shooting at the range I have literally never have any problems shooting the cheapest new production steel cased ammo I could fine. Even after it had been sitting around for years and some of it got some light rust spots on it, still went through the gun without a hitch.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Rob Ski is saying that Arsenal Bulgaria is shut down due to the Corona Virus. No more imports for now...

User Tag List