Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: USPSA Nationals

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    What's really interesting to me about that graph is it pretty accurately shows the "tiers" of USPSA production GMs. You have Eric at the top in Eric-Land, then the real top tier guys: Dave, Robbie, and Ben all pretty close. Then there's a big gap and you get the next level of GMs.

Very interesting stuff.

Is it a reasonable assumption that Bob Vogel could have had a good chance of finishing top 5, with a possible shot at closing the gap to "Eric-Land" if he had been on top of his game?
    I don't follow USPSA very close but from what I have seen on TV Vogel looks like a cyborg with a glock.

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WIILSHOOT View Post
    Do this for all the stages and you get the overall scores...
    Thank you! I appreciate the explanation, and the examples are very helpful.

Anything else you want to know, specifically?
    I don't think so. I just went browsing around the USPSA results pages and think I can make sense of what I'm seeing.

Thanks again!
    "If you run into an a**hole in the morning, you ran into an a**hole. If you run into a**holes all day, you're the a**hole." - Raylan Givens

Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post
    Is it a reasonable assumption that Bob Vogel could have had a good chance of finishing top 5, with a possible shot at closing the gap to "Eric-Land" if he had been on top of his game?
    I don't follow USPSA very close but from what I have seen on TV Vogel looks like a cyborg with a glock.
    Bob and Dave are typically about the same skill level.

Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post

In the top 5? Possibly. Vogel recently finished 5th in the Limited National Championship, a gnats hair behind Rob Leatham. Sevigny finished 2nd, but there wasn't much daylight between him and Vogel. Had Vogel finished just behind Leatham at the Production Nationals he would have been 5th.

Would Vogel have closed the 5% gap that was between Eric and Ben? No, not likely. He couldn't beat Leatham or Sevigny in Limited a few months ago (see above), so there's no reason to think he would have beaten them in Production. Vogel did beat Ben at the World Shoot in 2011 (in a close one, IIRC). I don't think Ben has been beaten since that World Shoot (except when his gun broke and not counting Eric's wins at the last two year's Production Nationals.) I don't know if Ben and Bob have gone head to head since the World Shoot, but there's no reason to think that Vogel is currently better than Ben, and certainly there is no reason to believe Vogel is significantly better.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Would you guys say that this phenomenon is common? That is, the largest performance gap existing between 1st and 2nd place?
    No. Not common. Usually the National Championships are more competitive. At the Limited Nationals this year there were seven people within 5% of the winner. Eric won by a wide margin and it shows how good he is. Not just "Eric was the better man today" good, but rather "Eric and Ben could go head to head and Eric will win 9 out of 10 times (if not 10 out of 10). " That good.

Having said that, Sevigny won by 5% in 2010 (and beat Ben by 12%). Ben closed the gap the next year and won. I doubt that Ben has that much room for improvement these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Thanks again!

You're welcome!

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Tirofijo2001 View Post
    I doubt that Ben has that much room for improvement these days.
    I think you're wrong - he's dedicated full time and has material support from Eric.

Kinda like:

I think you're wrong - he's dedicated full time and has material support from Eric.
    Really? You think Ben will improve 12 percent on Sevigny in one year like he did from 2010 to 2011? (Yeah, that's how I wrote it and that's what I meant. Ben made the jump from middle tier GM in 2010 to top tier GM in 2011. He'll tell you that any improvements will be fewer and farther between and much harder to come by given the level he has reached.)

Heck, Ben didn't come any closer to beating Eric this year than he did last year, and lost some ground to the other Americans compared to 2011.

But maybe he had better competition this year. Last year the person finishing behind him was some A class shooter no one has heard of. This year Sevigny gave him all he could handle.
    Last edited by Tirofijo2001; 10-22-2013 at 05:28 PM.

Really? You think Ben will improve 12 percent on Sevigny in one year like he did from 2010 to 2011?
    Yes.

He'll tell you that any improvements will be fewer and farther between and much harder to come by given the level he has reached.)
    I know.

Heck, Ben didn't come any closer to beating Eric this year than he did last year, and lost some ground to the other Americans compared to 2011.
    He's spent 3 months with his new Tanfoglio. I think that may have had something to do with it.

But maybe he had better competition this year. Last year the person finishing behind him was some A class shooter no one has heard of. This year Sevigny gave him all he could handle.
    I think so - everyone crawled out of the woodwork to shoot Production Nationals.

That's a bold prediction. We shall see.

Also I meant to write "lost ground to other Americans compared to 2012"

User Tag List