Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: USPSA Nationals

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Seen elsewhere: no American GM shot a "GM-level" score of Eric (95%) or better. Just an interesting note.
    Of 18 stages, Eric G. won 8 of them; was 2nd or 3rd for 7, and his worst stage finish was 8th! Against the other best shooters in the world, to consistently beat Ben Stoeger, Dave S. Rob Leatham, etc. over 18s stages..is truly amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by WIILSHOOT View Post
    Had a good run, finished 22nd overall, at 81%. Had to run my back up Beretta - it worked ok.
    Great finish. What happened to your primary Beretta?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I overheard, in passing, that he was on the road for more than a month and decided to head home...
    Not to speak for Vogel, but that was my understanding as well.
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Great finish. What happened to your primary Beretta?
    Double action felt terrible after I replaced the trigger return spring. Took it apart, put the old spring back in, and it still felt bad. Need to take it apart and find out what was no bueno... Maybe just due for a solid cleaning...

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    Interesting just picking off the list and what they used...
    [snipped data from quote]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tirofijo2001 View Post
    At the French IPSC Championship, no European finished higher than 91% of Eric.

(At the European IPSC Handgun Championship, no European finished higher than 87% of Frank Garcia (USA). Eric didn't attend.)
    Would you guys say that this phenomenon is common? That is, the largest performance gap existing between 1st and 2nd place?

Looking at the data from above, but with a "difference" calc added:
    Code:
    Competitor___________________Score_____________________Difference from next highest score
    Eric Grauffel________________100.0%____________________N/A
    Ben Stoeger__________________94.73%____________________5.27%
    Dave Sevigny_________________93.49%____________________1.25%
    Robert Leatham_______________91.55%____________________1.94%
    Sonny Morton_________________87.72%____________________3.83%
    Matthew Mink_________________87.65%____________________0.07%
    JJ Racaza____________________87.59%____________________0.06%
    Kale Garretson_______________85.34%____________________2.25%
    Shane Coley__________________85.18%____________________0.16%
    KC Eusebio___________________84.85%____________________0.33%
    Shannon Smith________________84.62%____________________0.23%
    Chris Tilley_________________84.20%____________________0.42%
    Frank Garcia_________________83.59%____________________0.61%
    Phil Strader_________________82.91%____________________0.68%
    Michael Seeklander___________82.57%____________________0.34%
    (That lines up on my desktop, but I'm sure it will look gross on some browsers/devices.)

Between these 15 competitors, the mean difference is 1.25%. Median difference is 0.51%

Would anyone be willing to give me a crash course in looking up / understanding USPSA match results?
    I am not a USPSA member. Is the data available to me?
    "If you run into an a**hole in the morning, you ran into an a**hole. If you run into a**holes all day, you're the a**hole." - Raylan Givens

Eric shot the European Handgun Championships in Portugal last month and won. Which match are yourreferring to?
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Would you guys say that this phenomenon is common? That is, the largest performance gap existing between 1st and 2nd place?

Looking at the data from above, but with a "difference" calc added:
    Code:
    Competitor___________________Score_____________________Difference from next highest score
    Eric Grauffel________________100.0%____________________N/A
    Ben Stoeger__________________94.73%____________________5.27%
    Dave Sevigny_________________93.49%____________________1.25%
    Robert Leatham_______________91.55%____________________1.94%
    Sonny Morton_________________87.72%____________________3.83%
    Matthew Mink_________________87.65%____________________0.07%
    JJ Racaza____________________87.59%____________________0.06%
    Kale Garretson_______________85.34%____________________2.25%
    Shane Coley__________________85.18%____________________0.16%
    KC Eusebio___________________84.85%____________________0.33%
    Shannon Smith________________84.62%____________________0.23%
    Chris Tilley_________________84.20%____________________0.42%
    Frank Garcia_________________83.59%____________________0.61%
    Phil Strader_________________82.91%____________________0.68%
    Michael Seeklander___________82.57%____________________0.34%
    (That lines up on my desktop, but I'm sure it will look gross on some browsers/devices.)

Between these 15 competitors, the mean difference is 1.25%. Median difference is 0.51%

Would anyone be willing to give me a crash course in looking up / understanding USPSA match results?
    What's really interesting to me about that graph is it pretty accurately shows the "tiers" of USPSA production GMs. You have Eric at the top in Eric-Land, then the real top tier guys: Dave, Robbie, and Ben all pretty close. Then there's a big gap and you get the next level of GMs.

Very interesting stuff.

It really depends on who shows up to the matches...

Scoring works like this: Each "A" is worth 5 pts. B&C = 3 pts. D = 1 pts (Minor scoring)

Total Pts / Time = Hit Factor. Person with the highest HF wins the stage.
    The %ages in stage scoring is next lower competitor's HF / winner's HF.

When looking at overall scores, stages have "match points". The winner is awarded 100% of the match points, while the other competitors are awarded the % of the match points. How many match points for a stage is based on the total points.

Example: El Presidente - turn, draw, shoot three targets twice, reload, and do it again - 12 shots, total possible points = 60. The stage then has 60 "match points".

I shoot El Presidente with all A's in 6 seconds. 60pts/6s = 10 Hit Factor.
    You shoot El Presidente with all A's in 10 seconds = 60/10 = 6 Hit Factor.

Next, calculate the percent: 6/10 = 60%.

Next calculate the match points: I get 60 match points, you get 60pts * 60% = 36 match points.

Do this for all the stages and you get the overall scores...

Anything else you want to know, specifically?

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    What's really interesting to me about that graph is it pretty accurately shows the "tiers" of USPSA production GMs. You have Eric at the top in Eric-Land, then the real top tier guys: Dave, Robbie, and Ben all pretty close. Then there's a big gap and you get the next level of GMs.

Very interesting stuff.
    I sort of agree with you - what I find more interesting, on the flip side, is how many guys came out to shoot that aren't primarily production shooters: JJ, Chris Tilley, Shane Coley, Shannon Smith, KC, etc. A lot of guys were able to come out and shoot production because they weren't shooting L10, Limited or Open.

I sort of agree with you - what I find more interesting, on the flip side, is how many guys came out to shoot that aren't primarily production shooters: JJ, Chris Tilley, Shane Coley, Shannon Smith, KC, etc. A lot of guys were able to come out and shoot production because they weren't shooting L10, Limited or Open.
    A dedicated Prod nationals definitely freed up a lot of the top GMs in other divisions to come play. I noticed that guys who are normally "Open" GMs like Chris, Shane, and KC had a hard time staying with the big dogs.

JJ's been putting a lot of trigger time in his Caracal lately, and I'd imagine if he stuck with one gun and didn't have all that silly "real job" nonsense, he'd be able to move into the top five.

User Tag List