Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: USPSA Newb in training, please help...

USPSA Newb in training, please help...

I know nothing of the difference between IDPA and USPSA to make a difference in my life. This is really just about me getting my butt in gear with a new focus for training, so please try not to convince me to choose one over the other. After I spend some time on this, I'll probably post a query on that.

OK, down to my requests:

1. Suggestions on reading, links, YouTube videos, etc other than reading the rule book.

2. Suggestions on drills.

3. I see there are 2 types of laserlyte aids: a specific chambered one or the omni-chambered one. Am I right to assume that the specific chamber is best? I run a P30 LEM in 9mm only, so getting a sirt doesn't seem worth it to me. Do you also recommend the laserlyte target or just use the cartridge?

4. Fill me in on things I haven't thought about, which is probably a lot.

TIA,

BH

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

1. Ben Stoeger's technique book and drill/dryfire book.

http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Pist...4708075&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Champion-Shoot...4708075&sr=1-2

There's the 3 GM Dvd if you prefer a DVD, but it doesn't have the depth or breadth as Ben's book. http://www.cedhk.com/shop/products/3...sters-DVD.html

2. See Ben's "Champion Shooting." Second link above.

3. I've never used a laserlyte, and neither have most competitors. It's not a must have. Some might argue it's a detriment.

1. & 2. Thanks
    3. I just thought it might help confirm my sight placement, because I never miss when I dry fire :-P

I will second Ben Stoeger's stuff, and add Steve Anderson's Refinement and Repetition as a great way to start the dry fire process. From there, Ben's dry fire book really "opens the playbook up" so to speak.

I am not a terribly experienced USPSA shooter, as I started earlier this year, but it has motivated me to get off my butt and work like nothing else ever has before.

If the bug really bites you hard, Brian Enos has an excellent book called Practical Shooting: Beyond Fundamentals that is a good read as well.

Bob Vogel has some DVD's out there.

As far as the match itself, whichever you choose (USPSA or IDPA), I think you will have a good time. I showed up to my first one, knowing no one, and instantly met a lot of people that were willing to help me out and give me guidance and keep me safe. I had a wonderful time at that first match, and have kept coming back.

Get Mike Seeklander's book. It's the best training aide for practical shooting on the market for a newbie, because ir's written by someone who's capable of analyzing the methods used.

Laserlyte, Caleb?

Pass.

I'd rather dry fire.

I dry fire, but I'd imagine it's a bit more helpful to see if I'm actually hitting my target, no? As I joked above, I never miss when I dry fire.

For clarification's sake, I mean the laserlyte snap cap thing, not the laserlyte target thing.

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    I dry fire, but I'd imagine it's a bit more helpful to see if I'm actually hitting my target, no? As I joked above, I never miss when I dry fire.

I used to dry fire at one time (just straight trigger presses only) with a laser bore sighter in my G17. It was useful for a time, but eventually had to go. It is a great tool to learn the feel of running a trigger so the gun doesn't move at all - the laser makes it obvious when you move the gun. But you can see that in the sight picture too, even though it's less easy to see.

The issue in the long term with using a laser in dry fire where you are practicing to use iron sights, is that attention is drawn to the laser dot on the target. But that's not where you should be looking when you shoot an iron sighted pistol. It's the sight picture you should be reading, which is a major skill to habituate in dry fire. You need to be looking at the sight picture to determine whether you 'hit' in dry fire, not looking for feedback coming from a light on the target. Be ruthless. Apply the Ronin doctrine to your sight picture in dry fire - 'if there is any doubt, then there is no doubt.' If you are wondering whether you would have hit, figure you missed.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

User Tag List