Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wearing a gun while being an RO

I seem to remember in the early days (1970s) that you had to be able to do a backward roll without loosing gun, magazines etc.... to have an IPSC legal holster.

IIRC, you had the option of either removing the holster and mag holders and holding them up side down or doing a roll. Only ever recall seeing one guy do a roll and that was more of a "look at me" thing.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

It seems to me that if they aren't willing to dq themselves for the dropped gun in this case, then they won't follow any new rules that are put in place either. I personally have no problem running guys while wearing a gun, just accept the accountability if this happens and take the dq. When guys run race holsters, that is the risk they face. Ive seen guys forget to lock/unlock those things at various times and as long as they are willing to take responsibility for what happens to their gun then i'm fine with it.

According to IPSC rules, had he just let it fall and not handled it, all he should have done was yell stop and clear the range. Then another RO retrieve the gun, clear it, he re holster, and then get the shooter torreshoot the stage. Since he was not the competitor there is no penalty for the drop.
    Most of the new race holsters are more secure than the average non race holster. The Bladetech Dropped Offset I run is loose enough that a gun can fall from it if the body motion is correct. Like jumping backwards off a set of stairs say (happened during a walk through last year). I've played with the tension on it, any tighter and I'm pulling my pants into my crotch and castration myself on the draw.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Slavex View Post
    Most of the new race holsters are more secure than the average non race holster.
    ?!?!?!

Did you type that with a straight face?

Seriously.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    ?!?!?!

Did you type that with a straight face?

Seriously.
    Sean,

I'm guessing he is comparing a modern race holster with the lock engaged to kydex and injection molded open top holsters, which many competitors set way too loose because it is "faster."

Ok..........

Quote Originally Posted by Slavex View Post
    Most of the new race holsters are more secure than the average non race holster.
    Word. DAA BABY.

http://youtu.be/_I2DPWLo87A?t=1m9s
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

Sorry Sean, didn't mean to freak you out. Yeah the DAA and even my old Guga are solid, guns don't come out with the lock on. Compared to 99% of the holsters I see at the range, including a lot issue ones, they are stronger and more secure. With the lock off it's a different story. Bladetech DOH and other similar holsters are essentially just buckets for guns
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

I don't Ro any more as I can no longer compete, but when I was an RO I always bagged my gun while doing the RO gig. I look at it as an RO my first responsibility is running the shooter through the stage. That should take all my attention and thus the chance for mishap on my part (tripping, running into something, etc.) is enhanced. So for me bagging the gun was just a safety issue for me.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

User Tag List