Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Travel in California

Quote Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
    About the only thing that's changed since the original post is that they've closed the "parts kit" loophole on high-cap mags...
    Bump. I just wanted to confirm:

By 'parts kit loophole', you mean I can't just take the magazines apart?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Bump. I just wanted to confirm:

By 'parts kit loophole', you mean I can't just take the magazines apart?
    Unfortunately, no.

Until a year or two ago, it was a fairly common loophole to transfer possession of magazines as part of private firearms sales. Some folks would disassemble high-cap magazines prior to a firearms transfer, and call them parts kits. More than once I saw LE guys do this when selling to civilians, including one who assured the FFL doing the transfer that it was perfectly legal. Someone in the general assembly caught on though, and amended the regs to specifically ban this. At present, anything holding more than 10 rounds is allowed here only for LE or if it's grandfathered. For most people that means pre-2000, and for someone visiting it would be pretty tough to argue that mag has been in California for the past 16 years.

There's at least one initiative in the works that would take even that away, if it passes.
    Last edited by Salamander; 03-27-2016 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
    Unfortunately, no.

Until a year or two ago, it was a fairly common loophole to transfer possession of magazines as part of private firearms sales. Some folks would disassemble high-cap magazines prior to a firearms transfer, and call them parts kits. More than once I saw LE guys do this when selling to civilians, including one who assured the FFL doing the transfer that it was perfectly legal. Someone in the general assembly caught on though, and amended the regs to specifically ban this. At present, anything holding more than 10 rounds is allowed here only for LE or if it's grandfathered. For most people that means pre-2000, and for someone visiting it would be pretty tough to argue that mag has been in California for the past 16 years.

There's at least one initiative in the works that would take even that away, if it passes.
    Well...shoot. Thanks, appreciate it. I will plan appropriately.

Just to confirm, though, my PPS M2 (6, 7 and 8 round mags) is good to go (I plan to follow CA law ref storage / carry etc.)?

Well...shoot. Thanks, appreciate it. I will plan appropriately.

Just to confirm, though, my PPS M2 (6, 7 and 8 round mags) is good to go (I plan to follow CA law ref storage / carry etc.)?
    If you which way youll be coming out theres still the Mail option. The small flat rate boxes are a pretty good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    If you which way youll be coming out theres still the Mail option. The small flat rate boxes are a pretty good deal.
    What can you mail yourself that you can't bring in yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    What can you mail yourself that you can't bring in yourself?
    Malamute is on my potential travel path out of CA, as it were.
    Last edited by RJ; 03-27-2016 at 09:22 PM.

Malamute is on my potential travel path out of CA, as it were.
    I'm not tracking.

I'm not tracking.
    We've had PMs; he's offered to meet up at his location. Which would be on my way out of CA (I'm on a five month RV tour of the US this summer).

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....otin-Tour-2016
    Last edited by RJ; 03-27-2016 at 09:28 PM.

We've had PMs; he's offered to meet up at his location. Which would be on my way out of CA (I'm on a five month RV tour of the US this summer).
    If you're doing clandestine stuff better to keep that off the internet. Otherwise I still don't know what you can legally mail in/out that you can't bring in/out on your person.

If you're doing clandestine stuff better to keep that off the internet. Otherwise I still don't know what you can legally mail in/out that you can't bring in/out on your person.
    Let me try one last time.

I have six 15 round magazines for my VP9 with me in my RV. People tell me I can't bring or possess them in CA.

So, before I arrive, I plan to mail them, either to me in FL, or a helpful person along my route. Then, I'll either pick them up at said friend's house after we leave CA, or I'll just collect them when I get back to Tampa.

Make sense?
    Last edited by RJ; 03-27-2016 at 09:41 PM.

User Tag List