Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Travel in California

Quote Originally Posted by 1911guy View Post
    Best reason ever to go to that godless state.
    Only.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    "Sunny beachside Lawrence" just doesn't have the same ring to it.
    Oh, I know a few beaches from Lawrence...
    Ignore Alien Orders

Ok, did a search to find this. Mrs. and I are traveling out west by RV this summer, which will include some overnight sightseeing in CA.

Has anything changed much wrt CA handgun law for visitors? I've read up on the NRA-ILA site, and it doesn't appear so.

I don't have any 10 rounders for the VP9, so I may just take the Walther PPS M2 and call it a day. Any thoughts appreciated.

I know the last time we dealt with any of it, an RV qualified as a domicile. But that has been 10 years or so.

10rd VP/P30 mags are good to go reliability wise, FYI. Just in case you wanted to go that route, too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Ok, did a search to find this. Mrs. and I are traveling out west by RV this summer, which will include some overnight sightseeing in CA.

Has anything changed much wrt CA handgun law for visitors? I've read up on the NRA-ILA site, and it doesn't appear so.

I don't have any 10 rounders for the VP9, so I may just take the Walther PPS M2 and call it a day. Any thoughts appreciated.
    About the only thing that's changed since the original post is that they've closed the "parts kit" loophole on high-cap mags.

Only residents can get carry permits here, they're more common than many people think in much of the state but pretty scarce for those who live in the urban coastal counties where most of the population is. There are a lot of grandfathered high-cap mags in the possession of residents, although there are currently two bills in the general assembly which, if they pass and are signed, would take those away.

Many of the non-urban county Sheriff's, including mine, are pro-2A. Risky to rely on that though. If you're only in for a day or two, I'd bring whatever you've got that holds 10 rounds or less, and lock it up until you're back to freedom.

Do bus stations still have lockers? Was thinking you could leave the things like magazines you cant take into CA in a locker until you get back out, if you are coming back through the same way.

Another thought. You could mail them to yourself at any post office that's on the way, even if the same way coming back out, using General Delivery for your address at whatever post office you chose. They will hold General Delivery stuff a certain amount of time.
    Last edited by Malamute; 02-11-2016 at 12:35 AM.

Magazines are the big one: 10 rounds or less. Also, if a pistol has a threaded barrel it is considered an a-salt weapon[1]. Not an issue for you and your Walther I'd think, but that could catch some.

And as mentioned previously, the handgun must be unloaded and locked up in the vehicle while transporting...

-- Michael

[1] 30515 (a)(4)

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/di...le=30500-30530
    Last edited by elsquid; 02-11-2016 at 02:05 AM.

^^^ Thanks all.

I didn't think about mailing my VP9 mags to myself. Good idea.

Yeah, in CA just a few days. My step son is deploying with 13 MEU out of San Diego, hence a visit there. We want to go up the PCH and then into Oregon as we enjoyed the Astoria area last year. Obviously quite a lot of great scenery in CA. (We are not really interested in the city-stuff.)

I kind of wanted to have the VP9 along, so I could have the option to participate in the occasional USPSA match. But buying 3 or 4 mags at $50 each is not appealing, especially 'just' so I can get them into CA.

I think I'll see if I can source a PPS M2 8 rounder, and maybe a couple more 7 rounders for the trip. Be kind of fun to run a Stage with a CCW and a few mags stuffed in my pocket.

We want to go up the PCH and then into Oregon as we enjoyed the Astoria area last year
    I hear there's a wildlife preserve in eastern Oregon that's been pretty popular.
    Last edited by HopetonBrown; 02-11-2016 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    I hear there's a wildlife preserve in eastern Oregon that's been pretty popular.
    Thanks!

I hear their RV rates are good...even if I have to register with the FBI.

Should I bring my own snacks do you think?

User Tag List