Thread: DA/SA Trigger Tips for a Rookie

DA/SA Trigger Tips for a Rookie

I've been been shooting pistols seriously (regular focused practice, dryfire, USPSA/IDPA matches) for about a year, entirely with striker-fired guns, and have been improving steadily, thanks in no small part to the knowledge of those on this forum. In the interest of expanding my horizons, I picked up my first DA/SA gun a few weeks ago: a Sig SP2022. After a bit of practice, I have become very comfortable with the double action pull, and it's actually the single action mode that's giving me fits - I'm snatching the trigger like crazy when shooting fast. I think this is because I'm used to the pretravel on the SFA guns and my trigger finger gets panicky without it.

My question is this: should I let my finger come off the trigger between shots, or should I train so that my trigger finger 'knows' how far forward the reset is and moves no farther?

Any other 'short pretravel trigger' or DA/SA advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

-CJ

My question is this: should I let my finger come off the trigger between shots, or should I train so that my trigger finger 'knows' how far forward the reset is and moves no farther?
    In my very limited experience, riding the re-set is sort of useful for new shooters, but to progress, one needs to be able to work the trigger regardless of where the trigger finger finds it self during the firing process.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicToaster View Post

Depends on who you ask.

Some say one way, others say the other way.

There are accomplished shooters on both sides of that question, so what you should do, is mostly based on you. Work with both and see which produces the results you are trying to achieve. This is probably best done under some sort of instruction by someone who knows and understands the advantages and potential disadvantages of each.

I slap the snot out of the trigger. Once the sear releases, and the pistol is in recoil, I let my finger completely off the trigger (so much so that I have finish wear inside the front of the trigger guard), and prep it before my sights settle again, allowing me to be ready for the next shot as soon as my sights are back on target.

I know a few DA/SA shooters who ride the trigger with their finger through the same process, which puts them at the same end state. Shot fired, sear reset during recoil, and trigger prepped prior to the sights settling back on target.

Which is better/best?

Up to you...........

Dry fire dry fire dry fire.

For DA/SA guns I like to do a DA pull wall drill, keep the trigger back to the rear, cycle the slide so everything resets and then do a SA pull. Some people like to ride the reset, I don't. I'll come all the way off the trigger on the reset and then focus on pressing it straight back again to the rear.

Thanks all! I lean toward letting my finger come off the trigger. Keeping my finger on the trigger the entire time seems to be a skill that's a little too model-specific, having very little margin for error in terms of short-stroking the trigger. I mostly want to make sure there isn't a good reason I hadn't thought of for keeping in contact with the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicToaster View Post
    I'm snatching the trigger like crazy when shooting fast.
    Are you shooting any better when going slow/moderate?

Quote Originally Posted by WIILSHOOT View Post
    Are you shooting any better when going slow/moderate?
    No problems with shooting slowly. Even a speed draw-to-DA shot is fine; I only seem to be encountering issues when I have to run the SA trigger at speed. Upon further examination, it appears that I might just be anticipating recoil - I'm consistently pulling my shots low. Probably because I know that when my finger touches the trigger, the break isn't far behind. Looks like it's SA dryfire time!

I live in a region of the United States in which temperatures can range down well below zero. I also carry a firearm and shoot year round, often in very cold conditions.

I have found that while using thick gloves, I can't always feel exactly where the trigger is while attempting to shoot quickly. For this reason, I tend to not attempt to ride the trigger to the reset point.

Paul Howe's class was a big part of the reason I changed my thought process on this. Trying to simplify things and find a solution that works across the board... Without gloves, cold/numb hands, light gloves, heavy gloves... etc...

That's how I look at it anyways...

We are diminished
    I prefer not to lose contact with the trigger face if I can help it. How far the trigger moves forward beyond the reset point isn't the most important thing to me but:

• the greater distance my finger has to move, the more time & opportunity I have to upset the sights, all else being equal, and
    • consistency being a key facet of accurate shooting at speed, losing contact with the trigger completely means my finger may not land back on the trigger in the same spot and/or may hit the trigger with more lateral disruption than if I'd kept my finger in contact the whole time.

As has been discussed here before, the degree to which these things matter varies based on your skill and how your gun is set up. There are plenty of guys who can slap the bejeezus out of trap or skeet gun trigger: the weight of the trigger, the weight of a gun, and importance of timing the shot, and the degree of precision they're looking for all work in favor of the slap. There are also some competitive shooters who slap their triggers sometimes, and again you'll see this tends to favor heavier guns and/or lighter triggers and situations when precision isn't an issue.

I ride the trigger to reset, then press again. I try to never let my finger come off the trigger between shots. That's just the way I was taught, and it works well for me. When I let my finger off the trigger in rapid fire, I tend to fall victim to El Snatcho. Then there are guys like Leatham, who slap the everloving kitten out of the trigger, and it works for them. YMMV.

User Tag List