Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Reports of Texas DPS going to 9mm.

If FBI adopts 9mm across the board, one wonders what the other Fed agencies who buy their .40 off the FBI contract will do? I know a DOI agency who just got their personnel Gen4 .40s.

Quote Originally Posted by Sotex View Post
    If FBI adopts 9mm across the board, one wonders what the other Fed agencies who buy their .40 off the FBI contract will do? I know a DOI agency who just got their personnel Gen4 .40s.

Isn't the current contract a 5 year contract and good for another 4 years? They will have ample time to make a pistol/ammunition change if necessary.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiAK View Post
    Do you just like the 124gr + p HST better for its larger expansion? Or another reason? Are there other loads you prefer to the 124gr + p Gold Dot?
    On paper, yeah, the HST gets a little bigger and cuts a little sharper and theoretically is probably 0.00001% more deadly against flying alien robot zomg!bies. In reality the Gold Dot is so universally well respected and proven that it's really, really hard to justify anything else. Except my price on the Gold Dot is about 27% higher.

I still have a secret love for 9BPLE, too, but I know if I started using it Doc would disown me. And by "disown" I mean hunt me down and do Evil Dentist things.

Quote Originally Posted by Sotex View Post
    The contract continues to exist even if FBI stops using it, and presumably one of them will pick up the slack if FBI chooses not to re-let the contract in the future. I'd be surprised if FBI recalled existing .40's (they didn't do that with the 9mm or 10mm guns until those guns' service lives were essentially at an ed) so the Bureau's need for .40 ammo will probably be around for a long time. ATF and ICE also have .40-cal ammo contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    Isn't the current contract a 5 year contract and good for another 4 years? They will have ample time to make a pistol/ammunition change if necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    The contract continues to exist even if FBI stops using it, and presumably one of them will pick up the slack if FBI chooses not to re-let the contract in the future. I'd be surprised if FBI recalled existing .40's (they didn't do that with the 9mm or 10mm guns until those guns' service lives were essentially at an ed) so the Bureau's need for .40 ammo will probably be around for a long time. ATF and ICE also have .40-cal ammo contracts.
    Good points. I was musing before thinking.

The FBI currently has duty ammo and guns out in 9mm, .40S&W and .45acp, so a switch across the board for field agents to all 9mm isn't a tremendous change really.

Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    All of the loads on Docs list are there because they have been tested via the FBI protocol and passed. Some perhaps a little better than others, but they all work.

That Winchester Bonded load is very good BTW, in all of the events.
    are you positive all passed the 12inch auto glass?

From atk website and Winchester some of the loads didn't pass the AG test
    Like win ranger T 9mm 127+P+ I think it was around 9inches

Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    In shooting up cars I often note the opposite at times, that the faster bullets get through the sheet metal when the slower bullets do not.

On sheet metal the DPX hits above it's weight class as it were, shoots through heavier sheet metal that stops lead core bullets.

And yes, even supposedly legendary cover penetrating bullet like 7.62x39 will fail to get through a car door if the motors and such are hit along the way.

In high school I was blessed to have access to a junk yard out in the county away from town where my friend's dad didn't care if we shot up the cars that they were going to crush. I got to shoot up a lot on cars back then. Since I've gotten to shoot up a few more from the police auction yard, or cop cars we were going to scrap.
    speaking of sheet metal the Federal EFMJ expanding ball ammo expands on that test. And I think its the only one that does

BTW I lived in the country most of my life and had a range and have shot junk cars and trucks. At one time I thought the 5.56 could penetrate way more than any handgun could.

But I never forget shooting a cars gas tank with 7.62x39 tracer. and all the gas pouring out.
    Last edited by Rich; 10-16-2013 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    are you positive all passed the 12inch auto glass?

From atk website and Winchester some of the loads didn't pass the AG test
    Like win ranger T 9mm 127+P+ I think it was around 9inches
    I have also personally seen some of the .40s and .45s fail to penetrate to 12" in that test, weird stuff happens. Auto glass is kind of a trend test, not every single test shot will come out positive all of the time. There's reasons why they average up those results.

AG is also an acid test. Getting into cars with anything less than bonded .308 or high penetration 12 gauge slugs is iffy.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    On paper, yeah, the HST gets a little bigger and cuts a little sharper and theoretically is probably 0.00001% more deadly against flying alien robot zomg!bies. In reality the Gold Dot is so universally well respected and proven that it's really, really hard to justify anything else. Except my price on the Gold Dot is about 27% higher.

Todd

I happen to like 124 +p over the 147 loads.

My thinking is the slide velocity !

Might help in feeding

Or incase the pistol is subject to sand/dirt!

Or like you say VoDoo

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Todd

I happen to like 124 +p over the 147 loads.

My thinking is the slide velocity !

Might help in feeding

Or incase the pistol is subject to sand/dirt!

Or like you say VoDoo
    I think that is an actual advantage.

User Tag List