Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reports of Texas DPS going to 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    I'm hearing scuttlebutt that the Georgia DPS considering dropping .45 GAP and going to 9mm. I also very recently heard similar that a federal agency was considering dropping .40SW in favor of 9mm.

And many LEA's follow what that Federal Agency does relative to firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    And many LEA's follow what that Federal Agency does relative to firearms.
    Lots of them. The .40S&W took off with LE agencies why?

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    The .40S&W took off with LE agencies why?
    Because of gun company salesmen.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Because of gun company salesmen.
    Wouldn't have sold if the FBI hadn't set the example.

A lot of Chiefs look to the FBI for what to do, the NA has a huge influence on them after they attend. I think it's the chip implants.

I Know my wife likes her duty load more now than she did before. 165 grain gold dot seems to be decent man stopper through car windows.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    I also very recently heard similar that a federal agency was considering dropping .40SW in favor of 9mm.
    F-B-I ( insert Hannibal Lechter voice )

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ffhounddog View Post
    I Know my wife likes her duty load more now than she did before. 165 grain gold dot seems to be decent man stopper through car windows.
    If it is coming off the FBI contract, it is my understanding it is loaded 100fps below its commercial equivalent. Still works well though.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    If it is coming off the FBI contract, it is my understanding it is loaded 100fps below its commercial equivalent. Still works well though.
    If being run through a G22 the lighter loaded ammo is a very good thing.

A lot of Chiefs look to the FBI for what to do, the NA has a huge influence on them after they attend. I think it's the chip implants.

What he said, and that NA Brick on the Chief's wall says it all.

We are diminished
    I disagree. The .40 was already selling to agencies -- including some big agencies -- for seven years before the FBI adopted it. I'm sure you remember at the time how many people joked that the FBI developed the spec (10mm Lite) but was too stubborn to accept the cartridge that came about as a result. INS and Border Patrol adopted the .40 two years earlier in a substantially larger contract. Their interest in the cartridge came in large part because of the success it had already proved in other LE agencies. And of course, the first LE customer to use .40 S&W guns was CHP... CHP literally adopted the .40 before guns were available in .40.

I'm not discounting the impact the FBI's selection had on LE sales, but the momentum was already huge by the time the Bureau decided to go forty. Glock and other gun companies began capitalizing on the AWB in '95 by swapping out used 9mm guns (with their precious, precious transferable high capacity magazines) for .40 S&W guns. It was a very simple script for the sales rep: "We'll give you brand new, more powerful guns in trade for your old beat up wimply 9mm, plus a 1:1 trade of all your magazines because we love you that much!" Then the gun company turned around and sold the used 9mm gun for a small mint because it came with a used standard capacity magazine. This kept going on almost until the day the AWB sunset.

In the immortal words of one of our community's most respected heroes:

User Tag List