Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Reports of Texas DPS going to 9mm.

I use ranger 180 gr in my P229 for SD.

If everything goes well I be going 9mm (P30) as well.

What 9mm loads actually pass all of FBI barrier testing!

I assume Bonded Ranger 147gr

Would be neat if the Doc would highlight which loads on his list. Because some don't do well on AG!

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Ditto us. We started off with the Winchester QSM (Q4217) loading, then moved to Hydra-Shoks. We had excellent results with both on meat; not so hot on vehicles.

Interesting re your satisfaction with the 124gr +P HST on cars.

The local PD issues 180gr and 147gr Gold Dots, and have had very good success with those on meat. In fact, the last two 9mm Gold Dots that came out of misbehaving citizens could have been used for advertising photgraphs to show classic expansion. Barrier penetration has been so-so. But if I couldn't get HST for my personal use, Gold Dots would be my second choice.

We have been using the 124gr +P Gold Dot, ever since it was invented, I'm pretty sure we were the first LE agency to adopt that round. I know we were well ahead of the NYPD in carrying it.

Ditto on your observations on bullet performance. Almost all of ours look exactly like the bullets recovered from the heavy clothing event on the Speer poster, except for the ones going through glass or auto bodies, those are never pretty.

We did not have the same experience with the Hydrashock, found that to be a really poor duty load in 9mm, both the 147 and the 124gr. We had multiple bullets fail to expand, in other cases they over expanded and fragmented, this led to shallow penetration and failing to get into the vitals.

My friends down the road an hour issue the 180gr Gold Dot, that has proven to be a superb duty round as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I use ranger 180 gr in my P229 for SD.

If everything goes well I be going 9mm (P30) as well.

What 9mm loads actually pass all of FBI barrier testing!

I assume Bonded Ranger 147gr

Would be neat if the Doc would highlight which loads on his list. Because some don't do well on AG!
    All of the loads on Docs list are there because they have been tested via the FBI protocol and passed. Some perhaps a little better than others, but they all work.

That Winchester Bonded load is very good BTW, in all of the events.

Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    Shooting actual cars in testing and not doing some serious looking at what the bullets hit through various parts of the car, like mechanisms inside the doors, etc., can easily lead one to make false conclusions.
    One of the more useful demonstrations I've seen in a class was during a Scottie Reitz course. We shot different caliplbers into a car door in vertical strings. Caliber did not matter in any way but what the rounds encountered did. If the reinforcement bar was hit, the round stopped. If a motor was hit then the round stopped.

Reitz has a lot of experience shooting into and around cars. He advised that only two things work well on cars - 12 gauge slugs and 308's. He did advise that they were seeing rounds strike car door components at less than full-on. This led to the unobstructed portion of the bullet continuing into the vehicle. He related that 45's had a big advantage here as half of a 45 is still a 115 grain projectile and they had seen significant wounds from these fragments.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

In shooting up cars I often note the opposite at times, that the faster bullets get through the sheet metal when the slower bullets do not.

On sheet metal the DPX hits above it's weight class as it were, shoots through heavier sheet metal that stops lead core bullets.

And yes, even supposedly legendary cover penetrating bullet like 7.62x39 will fail to get through a car door if the motors and such are hit along the way.

In high school I was blessed to have access to a junk yard out in the county away from town where my friend's dad didn't care if we shot up the cars that they were going to crush. I got to shoot up a lot on cars back then. Since I've gotten to shoot up a few more from the police auction yard, or cop cars we were going to scrap.

I've been to several Hornady ammo demos, and they also came to our place to do one. We got a car from one of the junkyards for testing purposes.

The Critical Duty 135 grain +P consistently out performed every other round through barriers. The Federal HST was next best.

At the FBI class I recently attended, I provided some Critical Duty to go up against some Hydrashok ammo, the CD whipped it pretty good.

The 9mm Hydrashock is crappy ammo, IMHO.

Looking at the numbers I'd worry a bit about the Critical Duty for urban LE use. Our Gold Dots tend to exit, but not dangerously so. They tend to exit and then drop to the ground or get caught up in the bad guy's clothing.

They used to give performance similar to the CD and back then they would exit from a solid torso hit with enough velocity to be dangerous.

Example is where a bad guy was hit on a dope raid, solid shot through the chest and scapula, exited the bad guy, the house he was in and ended up half a block away in another house. Fortunate no one else was in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    Looking at the numbers I'd worry a bit about the Critical Duty for urban LE use.
    If I ever again find myself working an jurisdiction where the people outnumber the trees or cows I will know that my career has taken a horrible turn...

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    If I ever again find myself working an jurisdiction where the people outnumber the trees or cows I will know that my career has taken a horrible turn...
    I would absolutely love getting to work someplace where the trees and cows outnumber the people.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Even though it's not what I carry myself, I think you'd be hard pressed to criticize any agency for deciding upon 124gr +p Gold Dot as duty ammunition. Its track record with NYPD alone should be enough to make folks realize it works very well under a wide array of shooting conditions.
    Do you just like the 124gr + p HST better for its larger expansion? Or another reason? Are there other loads you prefer to the 124gr + p Gold Dot?

Just curios. I think those are both great rounds.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

User Tag List