Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: 1st Handgun

Im not sure what else I can add to this thread, but for what is worth:

9mm: 3rd Gen glock

.40 or .45: M&P

I think these would serve you best as opposed to an HK, etc. Take the money you would save and invest in training. Once you have some time behind a trigger you can decided what is truly best for you.

does anyone here have any experience with a CPO Sig? I think I want the p226 but if I get a CPO that would leave me some money for training...

I think that most would advise that unless it is a older (German-made), 9mm Sig...don't bother with it. Their quality is not what it used to be.

Anyone else? Also if I were to get a CPO is there anywhere besides Buds to get one?

Cool

My only 226 right now is a CPO. It shoots like a dream and I was hard pressed to distinguish it from a new gun right from the box. Truth of the matter is, most guns are shot very little. Police trade-ins are usually shot in training and qualifications, which translate into very limited shooting. A large amount of privately purchased guns are brought home, maybe a box of ammo through them and then put in the closet. Shooters as you will find lurking here are the exception and not the rule. You will not be disappointed buying a CPO 226, it's one of the best deal on the market.

Oh yeah, and my first handgun was inspired by Sonny Crockett, a Smith and Wesson 645. I still have a soft spot for Smith 45s.

where did you buy your CPO?

Just to update the thread I got my first handgun today, which I ended up going with the glock 17 RTF. I spent some of my extra money on ammo and a holster, the rest will be put into training and a new duck gun (and probably new sights sometime too), thanks for everyone's help I really appreciate it.

I guess I am the only oddball that started with a revolver. k22 when I was 9yrs old (world's greatest grandfather). First semi was a Colt Woodsman at 12 (thanks again PeePaw). If I were starting off today as an adult and looking for a carry/shooter pistol, I would get a Glock 19. It is small enough to conceal and large enough to shoot all day. You probably didn't care for it due to the grip angle. You can overcome that either with training or have it chopped and reshaped. If you are going to dedicate yourself to one platform, leave the grip alone and just learn to deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ranburr View Post
    I guess I am the only oddball that started with a revolver.
    Nope, my first handgun at 18 was a 6" S&W 686. I put a ton of rounds thru it over about ten years, it was the first handgun I shot competition with (PPC) I traded it off to a coworker who still has it, I should probably try to buy that one back.
    First duty gun was a 4" 65, some type of .38 silvertips in a Tex Shoemaker breakfront. We were issued two dump pouches and exactly 18 rounds to fill them. I broke dept regulations and carried two very new, very high speed, HKS speedloaders in my pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Rverdi View Post
    Nope, my first handgun at 18 was a 6" S&W 686. I put a ton of rounds thru it over about ten years, it was the first handgun I shot competition with (PPC) I traded it off to a coworker who still has it, I should probably try to buy that one back.
    First duty gun was a 4" 65, some type of .38 silvertips in a Tex Shoemaker breakfront. We were issued two dump pouches and exactly 18 rounds to fill them. I broke dept regulations and carried two very new, very high speed, HKS speedloaders in my pocket.
    I'm part of that club as well. S&W MDL 10 in a border patrol holster. Started with dump pouches and we quickly moved to speed loaders. When I first went to NRA LE Instructors school there was exactly 1 semi in the 30 person class. The company issued HKS loaders but I was Hi tech with Safariland comp 1s. The first gun I competed with was a S&W mdl 14 target masterpiece. The only modification was an Austin Belhert trigger job. Won my share of PPC stages and titles with that gun.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

User Tag List