Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LCR vs. J-frame durability?

Dunno, this kinda looks like a polymer frame to me???

http://www.ruger.com/products/lcr/features.html

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Dunno, this kinda looks like a polymer frame to me???

http://www.ruger.com/products/lcr/features.html

From the linked page:

Supports cylinder and barrel, is made from aerospace grade, 7000 series aluminum in 22 LR, 22 WMRF and 38 Special LCR models. The powerful LCR-357 model is made from blackened 400 series stainless steel.
    Here's a picture.

I can't believe I'm having to do this here, of all places...
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Believe it.

Thanks.

I'm still unimpressed with my sample of one.

Cool

I have had my LCR 357 for two years now with about 1200 rounds fired from it. I shoot about 25% reloads and factory ammo, 25% +P and 50% 357 mag. I must be a masochist because I love shooting the 357 rounds and I am proud to say that everything about this revolver is as tight as the day I bought it and no I don't work for Ruger. When I first started shooting it I couldn't hit squat with although the trigger is very smooth. After watching the good revolver shooters and reading a lot of reference material I have progressed nicely into being a good shot with it. I pocket carry this when I am not carrying my XDS. I don't know why some don't hold up as well as others but I am sold on mine.

I have around 4,000 rounds (give or take ~300 either way) through mine, and it is still doing the job with no discernible difference.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Hammertime
    Necro post to see if there is any further input on the J-Frame versus LCR durability question. I own no revolvers and am considering one of the above for light weight gun duties in .38 Special. I have liked the LCRs I have handled at the store, but in general I have found Ruger products to be so so from a longevity standpoint. Some are great, some not so much.

Is there a consensus as to which of the little revolvers works best in the small, light, .38 BUG role?

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    Necro post to see if there is any further input on the J-Frame versus LCR durability question. I own no revolvers and am considering one of the above for light weight gun duties in .38 Special. I have liked the LCRs I have handled at the store, but in general I have found Ruger products to be so so from a longevity standpoint. Some are great, some not so much.

Is there a consensus as to which of the little revolvers works best in the small, light, .38 BUG role?
    I own an LCR in .357...the cylinder and frame are stainless steel as are the frames in the 9mm Luger and .327 Federal Magnum models. I primarily shoot .38+p ammo with mine, but purchased it for the heavy frame. I've put several hundred rounds thru it with no problems. The action gets smoother with use. It is my EDC and is with me 24/7.

Quote Originally Posted by WheelGunMan View Post
    I own an LCR in .357...the cylinder and frame are stainless steel as are the frames in the 9mm Luger and .327 Federal Magnum models. I primarily shoot .38+p ammo with mine, but purchased it for the heavy frame. I've put several hundred rounds thru it with no problems. The action gets smoother with use. It is my EDC and is with me 24/7.
    Guess they are better/more durable for the more powerful bullets now. Glad you like yours.

My mother finally got to where she cannot use one. It's an "original" LCR .38 Special, hasn't had but 200 or so service rounds. Sold it to my brother, he put 50 rounds through it, cleaned it, and uses it now and keeps it clean but will likely never shoot it for practice again... Like most folks. Good for him; he's somewhat ready, in much better mental attitude than most Americans these days.

I'm glad he likes his LCR. I'm glad I prefer my S&W J frames. Life is good.

User Tag List