Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LCR vs. J-frame durability?

LCR vs. J-frame durability?

Now that the Ruger LCR has been on the market and in use for a few years, is there any consensus on durability and performance over time vs. the alloy J-frames?

That is a very good question. I suspect that the vast majority of those guns don't get shot anywhere near enough to really begin to stress things. However, for durability in the compacts I like the Smith Model 36 and the Ruger SP101.

According to this guy, his LCR is still serviceable after 5100 +p and a few hundred more standard pressure.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I'd be interested in some data on this as well. I know I was all for getting an LCR, and then I found one at a range that was available for rent. It had so much slop in the cylinder lockup that I'm not sure I would have wanted to shoot it. After that I started focusing my search on Smiths.

Quote Originally Posted by ScotchMan View Post
    It had so much slop in the cylinder lockup that I'm not sure I would have wanted to shoot it. After that I started focusing my search on Smiths.
    When my father passed, my mother realized that her protection was now dependent upon… her. After a lengthy search, with me taking her to multiple venues so she could "try" a bunch of different stuff, she settled on an LCR. She liked the feel of its rubber stocks the best, despite my attempts to steer her toward an all-steel J frame.

I put 100 wadcutters and ten +P "duty" loads through the revolver to make sure it had no fleas. At the end of that firing, it had developed a ton of radial endshake, both cylinder and yoke, not to mention quite a bit of lateral slop… IOW the "cylinder lockup".

It still shoots, of course, but its loose as a goose and some more extended firing would undoubtedly result in timing issues. Personally, I think it is an issue with the polymer frame having too much "give" in it, etc. Whatever the cause, I was seriously underwhelmed with this piece. Some wax orgasmic over the supposedly super trigger… sorry, I don't see (or feel) it. Its a little bit bigger (and therefore more difficult to conceal, especially in a pocket) than a J frame.

Color me unimpressed… mightily so. I think that the accursed S&W lock is the devil's spawn… but I'd take a J frame so equipped before I would an LCR, for my personal use.

My LCR has about a thousand rounds through it now, but being a .22lr it really doesn't get stressed much.

I neglected to clarify that the one I dealt with is a .38.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    It still shoots, of course, but its loose as a goose and some more extended firing would undoubtedly result in timing issues. Personally, I think it is an issue with the polymer frame having too much "give" in it, etc.
    The LCR's frame is aluminum.

EDIT: Except the .357s, which are steel.
    Last edited by Tamara; 11-12-2013 at 09:53 AM.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

My 357 Lcr has held up well. Only have about a thousand 38s through it though. What sold me on it over the jframe was being able to switch out the front sight myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    The LCR's frame is aluminum.

EDIT: Except the .357s, which are steel.
    Oh?

Okay; so where's the polymer?

(I don't have it to hand, and it has been well over a year since handled/shot it).

User Tag List