Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The 3x5" Card at 25 Yards...

My distance shooting sucks, purely because of eyesight. It's the only reason I've considered experimenting with a RDS again. I'm physically incapable of sharp focusing on the front sight unless I have one eye closed due to an old TBI. Ah well.
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks2112 View Post
    My distance shooting sucks, purely because of eyesight. It's the only reason I've considered experimenting with a RDS again. I'm physically incapable of sharp focusing on the front sight unless I have one eye closed due to an old TBI. Ah well.
    I think a green laser will be my plan A when the eyes go and can't be remedied with monovision contacts.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks2112 View Post
    I'm physically incapable of sharp focusing on the front sight unless I have one eye closed...
    I can't be the only one who read that and thought, "Doc, it hurts when I laugh!"

CLOSE ONE EYE then, dude. Your head won't explode.

your ability to extract the accuracy of the variables above based on the ergos (primarily trigger) of the gun and your ability (eye sight, trigger control,grip)
    Having known Chris for a long time in the 'net world (like 6 thousand dog years, lolz). don't think this applies.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I can't be the only one who read that and thought, "Doc, it hurts when I laugh!"

CLOSE ONE EYE then, dude. Your head won't explode.
    That causes a separate issue 50% of the time. The lesson here is don't let people hit you in the head with blunt instruments.
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

I used 3x3 post it's and overlapped them and inch and tried it today. I put 3 off out of 10. I found this a lot easier than the white index cards. I was also able to run the fast clean at 15 yards in 8.9 seconds using post it's... Which made me super happy lol.

It's also super easy to repair and try again

I just shot, as part of an overall session, 13 five round groups, freestyle at 25 yards. I shot at a deliberate pace, but faster than "300" pace. I shot ten groups thru a Gen 3 RTF17, two groups through a G4 17 (both with HD sights), and one group with a G4 17 with an RMR. I used Speer 115 TMJ, Aguila 124 ball, UMC 115, Georgia Arms 115 TMJ, 147 HST, and Ranger T 124+P.

First the good news, the HD sights were regulated as to POI on both pistols across all the loads. Across the whole range of groups, I averaged 80 percent in the 3x5 with the fifth shot just out. I wasn't able to detect material differences between ammo, irons versus RDS, or G3 versus G4.

While I had some 5/5, if I was betting what I can repeatedly do, it is only 4/5. The groups looked in the 3.5-4 inch range. Can't say what is the pistol, what is the ammo, and what is me. When I get a chance I will repeat this with the Sig 226.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Good data. So group size wise HD's and RDS pretty close eh?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I tried this today with my carry Glock 32. Traditional-style Trijicon night sights, standard connector, nothing fancy. After one warm-up magazine, I shot two 5-round groups at 3x5 index cards and managed 4/5 on both. Ammo was 124-grain FMJ Fiocchi.

For reference, my eyes suck. I'm quite nearsighted, -5.75 in my "good" eye, -7.00 in the other. I focus as well as I can on the front sight, leaving the target just a vague blur. I have been considering a switch to Trijicon HDs or something else a more eye-catching front sight, but worry that the wider notch in the rear will make precision more difficult.

I would have liked to shoot a few more groups like this, but my practice ammo supply is still tightly rationed and I didn't want to burn all of this week's allotment on the same exercise.

Obviously, the inherent accuracy of your gun and ammo will play a significant role here. If you have 3" of "wobble" and the gun's only good for 4" groups, you're going to miss a lot...

I can't reliably see a 3x5 cards beyond 15 yards when I focus on the front sight with my 54 year old eyes. That's the reason my distance work is done on a B-8 keeping track of the score.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

User Tag List