Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The 3x5" Card at 25 Yards...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rhines View Post
    Should I be talking to my optometrist here?
    Maybe.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Seems like the variables are:

mechanical accuracy of the gun

accuracy of the ammo

sighting POA/POI and your ability to see/use the sighting system

your ability to extract the accuracy of the variables above based on the ergos (primarily trigger) of the gun and your ability (eye sight, trigger control,grip)

A breakdown in any one of the above variables in a material way is going to torpedo the effort. There is probably some variation of the Vickers group size rule, that would say if your pistol/ammo combination is capable of a group size of X, you are likely to shoot under most conditions a group of X * something.

I think this is probably a trick by the 1911man, aka BR, to get us to better appreciate a 2 inch, 40 yard gun.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    To add another question:how do you shoot a small target when at 25 yds the whole front sight obscures the target?
    For me and my gun / sight combo P30 and Heinie straight Eights, I do the following. I aim off the top center edge of the FS with level rear at anything under 15 yds. My groups favor high at 15yds by about an inch. At 25 yds my combo prints 1.5 - 2.5 high. I still cut the target in half with the FS, but drop it in the notch and frame the dot in the rear. It takes time and conscious thought. This has led me to search for a better solution. I am in a sense trying to eliminate my height over bore issue by exploring sight options. It about knowing your hold point and actually being able to do it. Therein lies the rub.
    Taking a break from social media.

Me? Trick someone?

Never.

FWIW, I'd guess quite a few people would have trouble with a 3x5 using a carbine that have only had tactical shooting classes at "bad breath" distances. At least it appears as so to me.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4

Ditch the 3x5 card for a couple sessions. Put up a 25 yard slow fire target and practice shooting groups. Put the front site in the same spot on the target for each shot. Preferably 6 o'clock on the black. See what kind of groups you can get and where they are impacting. Don't get to wrapped up in what your looking at. Just do it the same way every time.

You'll learn a lot doing this.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Walk-back drill on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rhines View Post
    I can barely see a 3x5 card at 25 yards. I can't see one at all if I'm focused on a front sight that's two feet from my eyeballs.
    I can see the 3x5 when front sight focused. It's a little white blob but I can see and align with it. That's why I said 'maybe' to the optometrist. I don't know if they can do anything for you or if that is just part of the inevitable degradation of vision over time.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiAK View Post
    ...just part of the inevitable degradation of vision over time.
    In other words, getting OLD.

We are diminished
    There's also a matter of contrast: the dark grey 3x5 on my cream colored target doesn't stand out nearly as well as a bright white 3x5 card on a pitch black backer.

There's also the matter of POA: if you use the top edge of your sight or a 6 o'clock hold it's easier to aim for distinct small targets at distance. If you use more of a "drive the dot" approach (as I do) then you have to get good at mentally aligning everything because your front sight will obscure the target from your dominant eye.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    There's also a matter of contrast
    I'm pretty sensitive to a lack of contrast in my 20-25Y shooting. It makes a BIG difference in my groups.

User Tag List