Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The 3x5" Card at 25 Yards...

The 3x5" Card at 25 Yards...

Hi, my name is Chris, and I have a confession to make.

I have never been able to consistently hit a 3x5 index card at 25 yards offhand.

More to the point, I can barely see a 3x5 card at 25 yards. I can't see one at all if I'm focused on a front sight that's two feet from my eyeballs.

So I have a question for the folks who can stay on a 3x5 at that distance - how are you doing it? Do you shoot with a target focus? Is your visual depth of field such that you can maintain focus at such varying distances? What am I missing here?
    -C

My blog: The Way of the Multigun

Card in optical focus, font sight in mental focus.

I can tap a 3x5 out to about 40 with consistency.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4

What are you shooting?

Quote Originally Posted by TriumphRat675 View Post
    What are you shooting?
    Commies.

Right now I'm transitioning from a Glock 34 to a 5" STI 2011 9x19.

ETA: I just put up a scaled-down 3x5 card at 7 yards in my training room, and broke out the SIRT. Keeping the laser on the scaled 3x5 was no problem, even while pressing the trigger. My problem seems to be entirely with visually locating the target.

Focusing on the target didn't work too well - the sights blur together into one lump. Should I be talking to my optometrist here?
    Last edited by Chris Rhines; 10-08-2013 at 07:16 PM.
    -C

My blog: The Way of the Multigun

I often try to print a nice 5 shot group on a 3x5 at 25 yards offhand with a Glock but 3 of 5 is more of the everyday/any given day result. I front sight focus and with the eyes plus monovision contacts dialed in for a sharp front sight, the card is just a small fuzzy white mass I balance on my front sight. I keep meaning to try this reversed as 1911guy described. Ben Stoeger also suggested giving this a try on another forum just to see what one can do an learn what really matters. Dern it it just keeps slipping my mind when I'm shooting.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I've notices a hard front sight focus makes it hard to find an index card past 20 yards unless lighting is perfect. Like above that is how I've been trying to shoot it to about the same degree of success

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rhines View Post

I have never been able to consistently hit a 3x5 index card at 25 yards offhand.

More to the point, I can barely see a 3x5 card at 25 yards. I can't see one at all if I'm focused on a front sight that's two feet from my eyeballs.

So I have a question for the folks who can stay on a 3x5 at that distance - how are you doing it? Do you shoot with a target focus? Is your visual depth of field such that you can maintain focus at such varying distances? What am I missing here?
    Don't feel bad, most can't - either.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rhines View Post

It is pretty straightforward -- put the RMR dot on the index card and press carefully.

Kidding aside, I look at the target, do a visual focus shift to the front sight, at which point the target blurs and I am relying partially on memory of the target from my initial look, try to press the trigger straight back, and pin the trigger momentarily to follow through.

At 25 yards on a 3x5, I believe mechanical accuracy of your pistol and ammo makes a big difference in how many shots are in, versus close.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

To add another question:how do you shoot a small target when at 25 yds the whole front sight obscures the target?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    It is pretty straightforward -- put the RMR dot on the index card and press carefully.

Kidding aside, I look at the target, do a visual focus shift to the front sight, at which point the target blurs and I am relying partially on memory of the target from my initial look, try to press the trigger straight back, and pin the trigger momentarily to follow through.

At 25 yards on a 3x5, I believe mechanical accuracy of your pistol and ammo makes a big difference in how many shots are in, versus close.
    With the exception of the RMR this is what I do as well. Generally that 3x5 card is mounted to some type of cardboard backer. I focus on the target, then shift to the front sight, but I'm indexing off of something large(like the backer) while I maintain sight alignment. Generally I'll manage 3 or 4 hits out of 5 rounds with a Glock 19 and warren sights. That number drops considerably with Ameriglo hacks, although I think it is due to the different POI.

User Tag List