Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: The 3x5" Card at 25 Yards...

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    It is sometimes said that the horizontal 3x5 is slightly more challenging than a vertical 3x5. I "think" I've found that to be true but I can't say I have any idea as to why that would be the case.
    The challenge I can see with a horizontal card, especially with a carbine, comes down to knowing your offsets at changing distances. The vertical card would be a little more forgiving.

Run it both ways and find out for yourself

this is how I see it, only white blurry rectangle.

so for a small target do you guys shift focus to this

and then back to the first one before making the shot?

Quote Originally Posted by justintime View Post
    this is how I see it, only white blurry rectangle.

so for a small target do you guys shift focus to this

and then back to the first one before making the shot?
    I do not. I visualize the target once to confirm, then it can stay blurry the whole time I'm making the shot. On my HK's and 1911's I "drive the dot" and mentally visualize the target after confirmation, but I'm not actually seeing it while I'm pressing.

As long as you can see a white blur your fine just center your front sight in the middle of the blur. I have very poor vision without my glasses but I still shoot nearly the same score on our qualification even at 25 yards because I can still see the sights.
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Matt O View Post
    Yes - great drill! Frank referred to it as the "Soulcrusher" in class. Cgcorrea and I have been running it at the last couple range sessions. I believe the goal is 15/15 and under 25 seconds.

The horizontal 3x5 is more challenging because you have less room for error in vertical sight off-set.
    Yeah, I was nowhere near 25 sec IIRC. In fact, I think I pulled a hammy a little doing it.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I ended up doing a couple iterations of 25 yards during walk-back drills with my G19 and P2000 on Wed. I was pleasantly surprised with my ability to keep three round groups on the card with some consistency. I was surprised to discover that I was actually MORE successful with my G19 (11 out of 15 on the card) than the P2000 (9 out of 15), since I've been shooting consistently "tighter" groups with the P2000 at all ranges when doing drills with more forgiving targets. I'm thinking my performance this week is likely due to the combination of me continuing to struggle with the HK's POI-behind-the-Dot sight configuration, and my tendency to develop an advanced case of snatch-itis with the LEM's spongy and relatively heavy "break."

Regards,

Kevin

I did a bit of 25-yard shooting today with the Glock and the STI. A couple things I found:

I was more consistent with the STI, which only makes sense. It has a fitted barrel and a 2.5# trigger. But I shot one five-round group with the Glock, freestyle, of just under an inch. It wasn't on the 3x5 card, but still. If I could do that on demand, I'd never look at another gun.

Possibly related - my groups with the Glock were all about 3" right of POA at 25 yards. Sight pusher?

I had a much easier time maintaining vertical sight alignment with the Bo-Mars on the STI, than with the Warrens on my Glock. The 'wave' rear sight didn't give me enough of a horizontal line to line the top of the front sight with, if that makes any sense. I may try a Sevigny Competition rear sight sometime down the road, or maybe have a Bo-Mar rear sight installed in the Glock...

Target contrast makes a big difference. I was shooting today on a black 3x5 rectangle on a cardboard background. This seemed to blur out less than a white-on-brown index card, although I didn't have one to compare with.
    -C

My blog: The Way of the Multigun

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rhines View Post
    Possibly related - my groups with the Glock were all about 3" right of POA at 25 yards. Sight pusher?
    You are a bit more consistent than me long range I think but I always verify over a couple range sessions before I move my sights. Most times the variable seems to be me.

Also that was one of the reasons I went with the sevignys. I prefer having more of a reference point on the rear sight.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Evil requires the sanction of the victim. - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rhines View Post
    I did a bit of 25-yard shooting today with the Glock and the STI. A couple things I found:
    Left handed?

My other comment would be: Try it at 35-40 yards, and look at where it is hitting. Still right? And right-handed? Then possibly sight pusher.

User Tag List