Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Re-Thinking Revolver Carry-Particularly At Night

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Mehhh...
    Spent a week in Vegas carrying a wad-cutter stoked J-frame, Fox OC and a clinch pick, didn't lose any sleep.
    Went to NJ with a G19 with EFMJs, a 638 loaded with wadcutters and a ZT folder. Also didn't lose any sleep that I didn't have the bestest ammo in my guns, etc.

Well if I had to carry a revolver as main service pistol it would be my 625 JM. When I have shot it in IDPA matches I could still finish in the upper 30% of who showed up in the overall standings. The time I tried using my model 19 the reloads killed me and I finished last. It was a real eye opener for me.

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    Well if I had to carry a revolver as main service pistol it would be my 625 JM. When I have shot it in IDPA matches I could still finish in the upper 30% of who showed up in the overall standings. The time I tried using my model 19 the reloads killed me and I finished last. It was a real eye opener for me.

Pat
    Wow, was it the reloads (cartridges) or the skinny chambers in the cylinder that foiled ya? I'm voting skinny chambers.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Mehhh...
    Spent a week in Vegas carrying a wad-cutter stoked J-frame, Fox OC and a clinch pick, didn't lose any sleep.
    I tossed and turned fitfully every night I had to carry anything that held less than a dozen and a half rounds, so I envy you your composure.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I'd love to try a revolver as a daily carry if practice ammo wasn't too much. rsa-otc's post intrigued me. Not a pocket carry gun, a real carry gun.
    #RESIST

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I'd love to try a revolver as a daily carry if practice ammo wasn't too much. rsa-otc's post intrigued me. Not a pocket carry gun, a real carry gun.
    Put a fair number of rounds through a nice 25-5 today. It may be largely superstition, but those big rounds sure feel reassuring...
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde from Carolina View Post
    Wow, was it the reloads (cartridges) or the skinny chambers in the cylinder that foiled ya? I'm voting skinny chambers.
    Skinny chambers and semi wad cutter bullets.
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Put a fair number of rounds through a nice 25-5 today. It may be largely superstition, but those big rounds sure feel reassuring...
    While nothing scientific.....I don't remember a shooting at my old place where a single hit from a 25-5 didn't end the problem immediately.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Mehhh...
    Spent 2 nights in Dallas, in a hotel in a marginal section of town, unarmed, due to the quick flight in and out.

I would have given a month's pay for any one of my j-frames loaded with even 132gr FMJ, considering who I saw going in and out of the lobby; and I didn't sleep all that well, either. Make no mistake: 10+1 in a G26 beats 5 in a 642, but not by anywhere close to the margin that "five for sure" beats the hell out of nothing.

But I digress. Please, carry on.

Some interesting comments re being uncomfortable, etc.

Yesterday, I shot a registered trap shoot (300 shells, all day affair). Its still hot here, and in any event I don't "strap up" on the trap field... but I do have my ever-present M-360PD in a pocket.

On the way home, the wife calls and issues instructions to pick up a couple of items at the grocery store if I would like some supper. At the store, I shut down the ride, glance over at the HK45C/holster/extra mag/mag pouch pile on the seat next to me- hidden under a light shirt/concealment garment-, think a minute, and say "Nah".... I'm only gonna be in the store for a couple of minutes, so...

It was totally uneventful... but I felt naked.

So why did I feel that way in the store, but not on the trap field?

Thinking about it on the rest of the way home, I realized it was because, on the trap field, I'm surrounded by like-minded folks who are no threat to me; perceived or otherwise. Not so in most other public venues. And then I recalled that, for MANY years, I toted nothing but a J frame and Speed Strip off-duty, actually used it twice to prevent serious harm to myself, and never gave it a second thought. In fact, I was looking forward with great relish to carrying just that, and maybe a pocket folder, and nothing else into retirement. Times changed.

And THEN I recalled that guy who lit up a public shooting range trying to get one dude, getting a cop and a few innocents in the process. IOW, the Fickle Finger of Fate is alive and well.

All these thought processes take, like, two miles. I realize I am content with my preparations, and will continue to carry a serious handgun (as opposed to the comfort and convenience of a smaller piece) whenever I can... just in case.

And I have another, less charitable thought; my electing to not do so (strap up a serious piece), for a quick jaunt into the grocery store, may be what passes in my advancing age for "living on the edge"...

Now, THAT is a depressing thought...

User Tag List