Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Re-Thinking Revolver Carry-Particularly At Night

Re-Thinking Revolver Carry-Particularly At Night

Recently, I was with some clients at a somewhat secluded location. I was carrying a Ruger GP100, with a Comp III speedloader in a belt pouch and a Speed Strip with 6 more rounds for reloads. Entering the development, there was an adjacent lot with chain-link fencing, and numerous dogs, which sounded like larger dogs.

While the fencing apparently was secure (ore the dogs otherwise constrained), it gave me pause for thought: If accosted by a pack of dogs, would a revolver, especially at night, provide adequate protection? My thought went to DocGKR's fairly recent post where in a somewhat similar situation (albeit facing potentially feral teens, not dogs-he's the one who had the dog), he concluded "No" and switched to a larger-capacity semi-auto for such carry.

I have to agree. While I did so intellectually anyhow when he posted his previous thread, being placed is a similar situation was a bit of an eye-opener for me "heartwise." While I'm reasonably comfortable with my skills with a revolver, and with my GP100 specifically, and the loads I was carrying (Remington Golden Saber .38 Special 125gr +P), the combination of night shooting, limited capacity, and a more skill-intensive/mechanically demanding reload I think mitigate against a revolver. As the good Doc concluded, after evaluating the situation and the potential of a wild dog pack attack, I think I would have been better served with a more naturally indexing, higher capacity semi-automatic-probably one of my Glocks (G17, G19, GG21, G34).

While I certainly don't plan on eliminating revolvers from use in carry and/or competition, I think I will be much more judicious in their selection for outside-the-home self-defense due to some of their intrinsic limitations-I've concluded that a (quality) semi-auto is simply a more judicious choice, both generally and situationally.

Best, Jon

Makes you wonder how "they" survived all those years prior to the "Wonder 9."

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    Or how they survived before cartridges? Or before blackpowder? Or before archery? Just because folks made do way back when doesn't mean it's wrong to find a better way.
    #RESIST

Food for thought (with no particular pun intended...): Perhaps they didn't in many cases....Or that group travel, on non-travel at night was more of a norm...

Best, Jon

I have done extensive non-scientific research on terminal ballistics of various cartridges when applied to Indiana coyotes, which are usually 10-30 pounds in weight. All of the 'yotes I shot with a handgun were inside 50 yards, and I was never really impressed with 9mm as a dog-killer, with one exception: 124 grain +P+ JHP from a five inch barrel would have very similar results to 125 grain JHP in a .357 Magnum. Usually the dogs would take a hit and run about 10 yards when hit with either round.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Same way they survived all those years before antibiotics: By being tough or lucky.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I have done extensive non-scientific research on terminal ballistics of various cartridges when applied to Indiana coyotes, which are usually 10-30 pounds in weight. All of the 'yotes I shot with a handgun were inside 50 yards, and I was never really impressed with 9mm as a dog-killer, with one exception: 124 grain +P+ JHP from a five inch barrel would have very similar results to 125 grain JHP in a .357 Magnum. Usually the dogs would take a hit and run about 10 yards when hit with either round.
    What load was that 124gr +P+, Caleb?

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I was carrying a Ruger GP100

Quote Originally Posted by Boris The Blade View Post
    Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiAK View Post
    What load was that 124gr +P+, Caleb?
    Buffalo Bore, because when it absolutely has to be loaded to over max pressure, call Buffalo Bore.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Interesting, Caleb. That sounds like a a plus for the viability of the Winchester Ranger 127 gr +P+ which is used as my primary carry load in my Glock G17 and G34. I'm thinking that in the G34 particularly that load is probably up around 125 gr .357 SIG/.357 Magnum performance territory.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Interesting, Caleb. That sounds like a a plus for the viability of the Winchester Ranger 127 gr +P+ which is used as my primary carry load in my Glock G17 and G34. I'm thinking that in the G34 particularly that load is probably up around 125 gr .357 SIG/.357 Magnum performance territory.

Best, Jon
    I keep meaning to do a big long write-up, and then I never get around it to. General findings from personally trying to destroy Indiana's coyote population:
    • All FMJ pistol bullets suck on coyotes
    • .17 HMR sucks on 'yotes
    • big soft lead pistol bullets work pretty well
    • Fast JHP and semi-jacketed soft point pistol bullets work really well
    • The Hornady Lever-Revolution rounds work regardless of whether they're fired from a pistol or rifle
    • Rifles with JHP work really, really well, especially .223 with Hornady V-Max

User Tag List