Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425

Thread: Re-Thinking Revolver Carry-Particularly At Night

Re: the +p powder eater,

Rick Devoid of Tarnhelm supply still does this mod, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    Rex,

I'm right there with you on the arthritis at 58. In my youth, I had a trigger finger broken twice, the last time at the knuckle, along with a broken wrist. It's getting to the point that it bothers me most days. A couple of hours of DA work with my preferred DA/SA SIGs is becoming a multi-day remembrance. As I age, it will likely drive me totally back to Glocks for serious guns. Headed to the range today and will be working with my 2nd gen 19 and my old 17.

Stay Safe.

Ken
    As a skinny rookie, circa 1984-1985, I thought I needed to prove my toughness, and the tough guys carried .44 Magnums on duty, typically the 629, due to our Gulf coastal climate. In spite of my K/L-frame-size hands, that compelled me to use the "h" grip, I suffered through a bit of .44 abuse, before backing down to a .41 Mag in in 1985. Not until 1991 did I set aside the big bore Magnums for good, and start using my first SIG, a P220.

I have no doubt that the off-center "h" grip, that caused those big N-frames to recoil in a twisting, torquing motion, is a major reason why I am seeking orthopedic guns today. Even back then, I felt the urge to spare my writing hand the abuse, so thankfully, my fine-motor-skill 52-year-old left hand is relatively healthy, praise the Lord! My wife, who has an M.D. attached to her name, when she cares to mention it, agrees*. Had I known her back then, she probably would have slapped me for shooting with a non-ergonomic grip.

Being relatively ambidextrous with revolvers, I chose to carry "primary" on the right hip, for better access while seated in vehicles; the long DA trigger stroke being caveman-simple enough. (Texas had virtually no private-citizen concealed carry back then, so I did not carry until I started wearing the badge.)

FWIW, I work for the really big PD about 90 minutes west of the Sabine River.

Be safe and well, yourself.

*She never took the state board test on this side of the Atlantic, and is a modest person, so she does not use the title.
    Last edited by Rex G; 01-21-2014 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Re: the +p powder eater,

Rick Devoid of Tarnhelm supply still does this mod, I believe.
    He does indeed; http://www.tarnhelm.com/services/services.html I assume it's the same as what Chris Peters originally devised, but if you're interested, I'd first look at my images in the thread link below, and then contact Mr. Devoid for confirmation.

For those of you new to this thread, I started a follow-up one in the Revolvers protion of the forum here, where I posted some images and further discussion; see it at:

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...ctor-Star-Face

Best, Jon

On the original topic, of re-thinking revolvers, particularly at night, I have long used both autos and revolvers, and especially since about the year 2000, have tended to carry revolvers by day, and autos at night. Originally, it was because .45 ACP was judged to be less likely to interfere with my hearing, and my favored 1911 had night sights. When I largely switched to Glocks and then SIGs, it was both night sights and the ability to readily use a weapon-mounted light that tended to make me select autos at night.

Regarding dogs, I have long reckoned I am more likely to have to shoot a dangerous dog than a human attacker. At work, we, as a large PD, shoot more dogs than humans, particularly in the 'hoods where fighting dogs are popular. During my personal time, we have our energetic dogs that need much exercise, and the possibility of a stray attacking is ever-present.

Rex, that parallels my thinking. Kudos to you-I hadn't thought about the light, which could certainly be an additional source of positive intimidation to an attacking animal.

Best, Jon

This thread just got even more interesting.

It made me:

1.) Pull my 3" '89 GP100 out of the safe and examine for grunge grooves and...

2.) Contemplate arthritis in the digits and its effect on gun manipulation. I have one finger broken in the line of duty (guess how) with limited disability even. Still, I mostly think on and FEEL the arthritis in my (bad) knee. I handn't thought much about fingers, arthritis, and gun manipulation but maybe I should.

I know my dad favored revolvers as he got older, but I think that was just his not wanting to fool with safeties in his dotage.
    Last edited by Clyde from Carolina; 01-21-2014 at 10:31 PM.

User Tag List