Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: The Tactical Reload

Indeed he is.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Since the thread drift in here has become epic, how about another tangent?

Leslie Dees was (is still?) the prime mover behind Police Marksman.

Anyone have any idea who his brother is?

Try Morris Dees, the prime mover behind the Southern Poverty Law Center... that bastion of "justice" for the unwashed & oppressed masses...

Just sayin'...

I'll bet holiday dinners at their house are a hoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Bell View Post
    I think its pretty situational dependent, if your speed loading, leaving empty or partial magazines all over the place while running from position to position, you are probably going to run out and that sucks in a gunfight. There is a big difference between being a cop getting into a gunfight during a traffic stop and being a soldier getting into a sustained gunfight on a combat patrol, etc.
    I agree that the military context might be different, and in fact I do point out that the only verified instance I've ever run across of a tac-load mattering in the final outcome was a military incident.

Although going from traffic ticket to defending your life would be a total mind-kitten, being a thinking fighter is a must regardless of the situation IMHO. Reading the situation, controlling your fire and not dumping half a magazine out of reaction, working the situation to maximize your accuracy/lethal effectiveness and most of all conserving your equipment/capabilities for the unknowns as they present themselves.
    Again, agreed, which is why I argue that if our concern is to conserve our rounds for later then we should use a technique that maximizes that possibility, which to me seems to be the RWR.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

from nyeti:
    I am justifying why I teach what I do. I make no bones about who I direct training to-"First Responders". General working patrol cops. Many others want the same training, or at least exposure to it, but I don't change it to fit them. For you, David, Sean, or Pincus who doesn't teach it all because you can't use his reload technique.......great, cater it to your world and students.
    I won't address anyone else, but this David can do TRs, and does TRs rather well and teaches them to "First Responders" who want to learn the skill. I doubt one can find anyone who has spent much time at Thunder Ranch who is not fairly good at doing a TR. As for justification, though, I think that is the key. If we all agree that training time is limited I find it hard to justify teaching a third reload method that is of limited use in a very narrow range of circumstances when one can more effectively meet the needs with other reloads that will be taught anyway. Not saying anyone is right or wrong, just an honest question on teaching philosophy and reasoning behind tactical choices.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    It did ONCE. I remember Remsburg making a big deal of that at the first Street Survival Seminar I went to. But it was in a "good" way; IOW, do not depend upon your handgun to do the job immediately.

Anyone here recall those seminars? They were pretty up-to-speed for the time (early 80s).
    I remember them. I went to one of those early 80s ones, bought the book, and was extremely irritated that my instructors at the academy hadn't taught some of this stuff. A real game changer for me. Like rsa my instructors were Remsberg and Anderson, they made a good team.

User Tag List