Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yellow Vs Orange Sights: Real World Application

Reviewer of the Tools

Yellow Vs Orange Sights: Real World Application

I currently work in the heavy/highway construction industry and am involved with creating and implementing our company's safety protocols and procedures. Like most of you, I am avid shooter and general "gun guy". Recently I started shopping for a new set of night sights for my primary pistol. Based upon the reviews found here and elsewhere as well as my previous experience with other products, I decided upon the Trijicon HD sights. However, like many people, I could not decide whether to purchase sights with an orange or yellow front sight. As I ponder this decision, I was reminded that I encounter this same debate constantly with high visibility warning signs and safety gear for myself and the other employees of the company. OSHA has pretty much discouraged the use of orange vests on highway or job site workers except for certain applications. Fluorescent yellow, with reflective stripes, has become the standard of the industry and is apparent on almost every construction site you pass in the United States. However many of the State DOT's across the country have done their own studies regarding reflectivity. Here is an excerpt from a study that found orange to be superior:

"A number of studies directly dealing with safety garments have also been conducted.
    Michon et al.’s (1969) field experiment evaluated the influence of color and size on the
    conspicuity of safety clothing on a 12-km track in a diverse background setting, color
    combination, and complexity. Sixteen colored cardboard rectangles (white, yellow,
    fluorescent yellow, fluorescent orange) were placed at different positions along the track.
    Subjects were required to blow their horn when they detected the "safety garment" along the
    track. The rectangles were presented to the subjects at distances of either 100 or 200 m.
    Overall, Michon et al. (1969) found that fluorescent orange resulted in the lowest reaction
    times followed by yellow, fluorescent yellow, and white. They found that an area of about
    1,200 cm2
    is a sufficient amount of fluorescent material, which is roughly equivalent to a 30-
    cm-wide band around the upper part of the body"

While here is another study that found yellow to be superior:

"In 1990, Lesley (1995) conducted a survey dealing with the color of safety vests in
    the State of Minnesota under the sponsorship of MNDOT. The results of the survey were as
    follows: fluorescent yellow, 5,796; fluorescent green, 2,706; fluorescent orange, 2,23 1;
    fluorescent pink, 2,017. Of 119 voters who described themselves as color blind, 115 selected
    the fluorescent yellow."

Source: http://www.safetyline.com/Illinois%2...000%2001-1.pdf

I will try to find more studies from the Government and other safety bodies. This one article is all that I have on hand for the time being. I believe the florescent yellow would be slightly easier to pick up on at speed, but that is just my humble opinion. I think if I were involved in a shoot out on a job site where everyone was wearing a yellow vest, I may have some difficulty tracking my sights but that is...pretty unlikely(???). I am curious as to what you members here think of this though.

We are diminished
    Having tried both and measured my results I much prefer orange over green, yellow, chartreuse, etc.

I know other guys who've done the same testing and come to the same conclusion.
    I know other guys who've done the same testing and come to the opposite conclusion.

The problem with the safety-color studies is that they're not looking for the same functionality as a high visibility front sight. That's doubly true when you talk about reflective yellow material versus ordinary (non-reflective) orange material.

Reviewer of the Tools
    Excellent point Todd. Thank you for sharing your findings. I agree that pistol sights vs. safety vests is not exactly a fair caparison. I did however think the information above was at least worth a look/thought.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    I tend to prefer the orange (Ameriglos on my M&Ps) but I has a little bit of a sad because the yellow-green (Ameriglo on my G19) fluoresces like a kittenkitten at the drop of a photon and the orange does not do that.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I have both yellow and orange HD sights.

Overall, I prefer the orange. They pop better in bright light. I also prefer orange to yellow in a rural environment (read Alaska and the west) as there is a lot of naturally occurring yellow in nature.

I think the yellow may be slightly brighter in a dim environment, but where you can still see the color.

I am running orange to yellow at about a 3 to 1 ratio. One thing handy about the yellow is I can differentiate otherwise identical pistols.

I read somewhere (in the context of motorcycle safety) that the reason florescent orange appears particularly bright under natural light is that it absorbs UV light and remits it in the visible spectrum. However, it is considerably less bright under artificial light (street lamps, headlights, etc.) which has little or no UV light. "Hi-viz" lime green,by contrast, does not rely on UV light absorption/re-emission and is brighter under more diverse array of lighting conditions. This was the reason for OSHA's preference for yellow-green over orange. Unfortunately, I can't track down the reference (it disappeared from where I originally read it). However, it may be worth comparing the two colors under both artificial lighting as well as sunlight before establishing a definitive personal preference.

My sights get treated with Zoya brand nail polish, color is called Annie. It is a bright orange with metallic flecks in it. It is the best I have found. My wife has many colors of which to choose from, she actually asks me what colors to buy so that I can try them out. (On the gun, not me, just to be clear)
    Taking a break from social media.

One more vote for orange.

I wanted to have the yellow/green Ameriglos work for me, I really did, but they wash out badly in bright sunlight, for me, and my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    One more vote for orange.

I wanted to have the yellow/green Ameriglos work for me, I really did, but they wash out badly in bright sunlight, for me, and my eyes.
    My front sights are all orange for this exact reason.

I've got the Trijicon HD's in yellow and after reading all of this am wondering should I have gotten orange? I'm happy with the yellows and will probably leave them though

User Tag List