Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Mindset of Gun Ownership?

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    ...strictly on its range performance, or does personal preference on style and model come into play which mitigates the performance aspect?
    My last two carry gun changes were made with expectation that my performance would drop for some time, and it did. I am evaluating a third such change right now. Nothing really "mitigates" a performance aspect, but if your reasons make sense to you as to why you do what you do, then rock on. A bonus point: if your reasons make sense to other people, then rockonrockonrockon.

I am a bit different than most here (if it wasn't painfully obvious). I carry the pistol I "run" the best. I carry the pistol that meets my handling needs the best. Some of the things that make specific pistols great on range performance may not be what I am looking for in regards to daily carry and the best tool for handling the most likely job. I do not always "shoot" my P30 great on the range (although things improve everytime I go to the range), but I run it far better than anything else and the ergonomics and function are near perfect for me and my needs.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

My carry gun was decided upon based on several factors.

1. Reliability. If it doesn't run, nothing else matters.

2. Carryability/Shootability. Made up words, I know, but I look for a gun that is small enough to conceal carry and large enough to fight with. I also look for a gun that I can make head shots on an IDPA target at 25 yards. For me that is a 4" or larger barreled 9mm semi auto with a capacity of 15+1 or greater. For years that was a Glock 19. Now it's a Smith & Wesson SD9. Yes, I choose to carry a SD9 over a Glock 19. Hits on target don't lie, I'm simply better with the SD9. I should add that I have the Apex Tactical spring kit and their newly released AET trigger in my SD9 which turned it into a completely different gun.

3. Aftermarket support. Holster and sight options are important to me. I'm very picky about both. Being able to use holsters and sights for the M&P with my SD9 was a major factor in me deciding to purchase one and put it through the paces over the last year.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    I am a bit different than most here (if it wasn't painfully obvious). I carry the pistol I "run" the best. I carry the pistol that meets my handling needs the best. Some of the things that make specific pistols great on range performance may not be what I am looking for in regards to daily carry and the best tool for handling the most likely job. I do not always "shoot" my P30 great on the range (although things improve everytime I go to the range), but I run it far better than anything else and the ergonomics and function are near perfect for me and my needs.
    Oh, don't feel like such an outlier.

If I carried the pistol I shot best, I'd be carrying a K-22 Target Masterpiece.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Oh, don't feel like such an outlier.

If I carried the pistol I shot best, I'd be carrying a K-22 Target Masterpiece.
    Bomar's hurt my fat roll. There is also the whole "you don't want me pointing this at you with this "killer" trigger while I am scared". "It's not extended mag release.....it's more like a pillar.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I initially choose my guns based on research, preferably first-hand, and the purchase is generally purpose driven. This said, other than shooting a couple mags, there aren't many friends or renta-a-blaster establishments that allow you to take them for a real spin before buying.

After I've made a decision to move forward, I buy.

That decision is based off of reliability, shootability, and "feel" (for me that's egos and how it carries). Somewhere between the last two, there is a subset for capacity, as I like capacity, but a self-defense weapon is no more than a blunt object if it doesn't go bang when expected or if follow-up shots are difficult to get on target.

ETA- thread title is a bit misleading

The title isn't off, the whole thread is off, because this isn't a "mindset" thing, it's a "validate my ability to be needlessly indecisive" thing, with bonus anthromorphization!

Title may as well be "I'm in Love With Two RealDolls, Which One Should I Marry?" The answer is 1) Ewwwwwww, and 2) stop thinking what you're doing is normal.

You probably think you're being reasonable, but you're trying to decide between carrying two guns based upon having carried/shot one...

...and by, your own admission, having only shot the other, without having carried it at all.

Put aside for the moment which one you "know" and think is "beautiful" *shudder* You can fill in the gaping logic gap, first, by committing to carrying the one for a period of time, so as to provide fodder for an ACTUAL compare/contrast. Once you've done that, whether or not you feed in your show-me-on-the-puppet vibe is up to you.

Egos or Ergos (ergonomics)?

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by JMS View Post
    The title isn't off, the whole thread is off, because this isn't a "mindset" thing, it's a "validate my ability to be needlessly indecisive" thing, with bonus anthromorphization!
    Officially, I'm saying please make sure this discussion doesn't turn personal.

Unofficially, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by JMS View Post

Title may as well be "I'm in Love With Two RealDolls, Which One Should I Marry?" The answer is 1) Ewwwwwww, and 2) stop thinking what you're doing is normal.

You probably think you're being reasonable, but you're trying to decide between carrying two guns based upon having carried/shot one...

...and by, your own admission, having only shot the other, without having carried it at all.

Put aside for the moment which one you "know" and think is "beautiful" *shudder* You can fill in the gaping logic gap, first, by committing to carrying the one for a period of time, so as to provide fodder for an ACTUAL compare/contrast. Once you've done that, whether or not you feed in your show-me-on-the-puppet vibe is up to you.
    I need no validation from you regarding what weapon I choose to carry.If my inquiry offends you,click the back button and reserve comment.

Have a good 'un.

User Tag List