Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glock Maintenance

We are diminished
    FWIW, I do not know how common the breakage is -- I've never seen it personally -- but two folks at Glock both recommended to me that I replace the magazine catch spring with some regularity. While breakage may be rare, if it snaps in two below the frame hole your pistol is essentially deadlined permanently. They've only seen them break when using the extended mag catch (which I don't run) due to the additional flexing, but I would hate for my test & carry gun to die.

My plan at present is to replace the recoil spring every 7,500 and then every 15,000 I'm going to replace:
    • recoil spring
    • firing pin block spring
    • striker spring
    • mag catch spring
    • takedown lever spring

It's also been suggested to me that the slide stop lever should be changed every 15k or so. I've got to call LAV and see if he can send me a few spare levers.

Thanks to all for the answers.

As my Glock is over 13k rounds (and trigger spring broke some weeks ago), I'm going to replace all springs I can get. Some of them has already arrived, so surgery can start

Quote Originally Posted by GermanSynergy View Post
    Where in Central Europe are you?
    Slovakia
    Last edited by yarco; 05-25-2011 at 03:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by VolGrad View Post
    I'm a GLOCK Certified Armorer (like almost every one else it seems) but their parts filling SUCKS. I have given up on them after a couple of sour years and get all my parts from Brownell's now. It's just easier, faster, and more efficient for only a few more dollars.
    My experience has been just the opposite, as I've found their parts filling to be about the best I've experienced. Fast and accurate with only one exception and that was my fault as I'd forgot to send in some required documentation. But even then they promptly sent me an e-mail and explained the problem, and when we got it fixed things showed up right away.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

What is the interval for the NY1 spring?
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    What is the interval for the NY1 spring?
    I do not know if Glock recommends a replacement interval for it. Even if the spring breaks -- which is hard to imagine -- the plastic housing will run the gun properly for a long time. You'd notice a difference in the trigger pull (some people remove the spring to get that feel on purpose; I don't like it) and that would be your clue to replace.

Wow. So when I read online that the NY springs were indestructible, it was a somewhat legit statement. Neat.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Wow. So when I read online that the NY springs were indestructible, it was a somewhat legit statement. Neat.
    I've heard of only 1 breaking.

I can't imagine how many rounds I've seen fired thru Glocks in my classes and while a standard trigger spring goes now and then, I've never seen a NY spring go.
    I keep standard and NY springs in my range bag but the NY springs are really there in case a student wants to see what one feels like.

Quote Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
    My experience has been just the opposite, as I've found their parts filling to be about the best I've experienced. Fast and accurate with only one exception and that was my fault as I'd forgot to send in some required documentation. But even then they promptly sent me an e-mail and explained the problem, and when we got it fixed things showed up right away.
    That's pretty good.

Over the past couple of years I think I have had at most 1 order filled & charged correctly.

All the rest have been either shorted or over filled. Most also come in multiple FedEx shipments spread out over consecutive days to weeks. Many require signature (and I can't figure out why for small parts). I once received a FedEx package with a single spring the day after another package containing 2 small parts. I can't explain it.

I had the plastic crack halfway through on my NY1 spring in my training/backup Glock while doing drills the day before a class earlier this year. It was early into practicing that day and noticed the trigger felt different slightly lighter but ran fine for the rest of the day @250rds.I was disappointed that the plastic failed but impressed that it would still function for awhile after cracking. I was showing someone the spring when the plastic finally let go all the way. The break is clean and plastic doesn't appear to be stressed at all so not sure what happened.

I swapped it out with a new spring the night before the class and wish I would of tried a couple more springs as the replacement spring somehow made the trigger feel mushy for the whole class. I'm pretty sure I need to sacrifice something to the gods to turn around the crap luck I've been having this year.

User Tag List