Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Budget sound for home entertainment?

The headphone jack will IMO be your savior, I have lots of ways I execute this for my clients but long and short is you will not need an additional remote and the system/speakers will simply act as an extension of the TV, turn the volume up on the TV the volume of the attached speakers will behave accordingly greatly simplifying system use.

I am on my way out to complete an install for a client and will explain further this evening, but I would start looking for a small cheap digital amplifier with an auto 'on' / audio sensing power up (amazon, ebay & monoprice) $20-$50, and some passive speakers or a soundbar, you may actually already have a pair of speakers around the house that will work.

Also with the headphone Jack and as recommended above virtually any set of PC speakers will work.

The biggest issue you are most likely having is that your TV speakers are most likely rear facing off of the back of the TV and simply getting anything decent which faces out into the viewing area will resolve 90% of your issues.

Jay

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    Thanks, Jay.

When I get home this evening, I will take stock of what equipment I have around. I have tons of old computer crap stuffed in a closet, and I'm pretty sure there's a set of PC speakers in there.

You are correct that my television's internal speakers are rear-facing.
    "If you run into an a**hole in the morning, you ran into an a**hole. If you run into a**holes all day, you're the a**hole." - Raylan Givens

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Here are the audio outputs at my disposal:
    • Digital audio output (optical) (TOSLINK) - Rear,
    • Audio line-out (RCA phono x 2) - Rear,
    • Headphones (Mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm) - Rear,

Heck, 20 years ago in the pre-digital world I used the RCA outputs on a TV to feed a small amp and pair of cheap Radio Shack speakers. Huge improvement.

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    Pulled some old PC speakers out of the closet and got them all hooked up. I actually forgot how nice the sound is from these (good stand-alone woofer). As you noted, using them is stupid-easy: normal TV controls work.

So, with the burden of $0 spent, this problem is solved.

Thanks again, everyone! Even though I didn't invest in a soundbar this time, I'm sure I eventually will (when I get around to setting up a larger room)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
    "If you run into an a**hole in the morning, you ran into an a**hole. If you run into a**holes all day, you're the a**hole." - Raylan Givens

Congrats! Solving the problem for free is always the best kind of instant gratification.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Glad it worked out!
    People quite often fail to understand the importance of ease of use when it comes to AV, as all of my clients can quote me on..

"if everyone in the house can't approach the system and easily and confidently accomplish their goal I don't care what you spent, the system isn't worth the metal and plastic its stamped out of"

Jay

User Tag List