Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cover vs Concealment

Dude has an indexed trigger finger, but with that grip, on that gun, with the stock folded, he's about three seconds from being able to get the selector off and get rounds downrange.

Lots of the planet seems to think cool guys don't need stocks on rifles.

A few years ago, I met the top two guys from the Tanzanian national police. They said that their street level guys all carried AK-47s and pistols were reserved for the high ranking officers and plain clothes cops. I suspect that it is similar in Kenya.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    A few years ago, I met the top two guys from the Tanzanian national police. They said that their street level guys all carried AK-47s and pistols were reserved for the high ranking officers and plain clothes cops. I suspect that it is similar in Kenya.
    Probably is in most places. Coppers check the long gun in and out for the shift, easy to see and keep track of, and AKs are far cheaper in many places than a quality handgun.

^^^Not to mention more effective if one finds themselves under fire or under a lion charge or hyena stare.

Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    Probably is in most places. Coppers check the long gun in and out for the shift, easy to see and keep track of, and AKs are far cheaper in many places than a quality handgun.
    They are also much more practical when the police force are actually up against heavily armed (and armored) organized crime, militia and terrorist organizations who are using AK-47's, RPG's, IED's, Technicals, etc. Boko Haram, Al-shabaab, AQIM, Taureg's, and other groups of people who wander those regions make carrying an AK-47 a very attractive option. Knowing you are likely going to a gunfight tends to change the mindset when it comes to weapon selection vs. carrying a sidearm knowing the odds are greatly in your favor of never having to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    They are also much more practical when the police force are actually up against heavily armed (and armored) organized crime, militia and terrorist organizations who are using AK-47's, RPG's, IED's, Technicals, etc. Boko Haram, Al-shabaab, AQIM, Taureg's, and other groups of people who wander those regions make carrying an AK-47 a very attractive option. Knowing you are likely going to a gunfight tends to change the mindset when it comes to weapon selection vs. carrying a sidearm knowing the odds are greatly in your favor of never having to use it.
    Oh, I totally get all of that. Even in more civilized places, like South Africa years ago, you could run into a North Hollywood type fight with regularity. I have a friend who was on the flying squad in Cape Town, one day he and his partner ran out of ammo for the long guns in a fight against seven guys with AKs robbing a bank. They were carrying R4s with two reloads each, so 35 rounds X 3, wasn't enough ammo that day. They decided to "Run Away!" [Monty Python voice] when they got down to just the pistols.

Even with an AK being issued I would avoid being the guy with zero extra ammo if at all possible, such as many of the dudes in those pics.

Looks like he's peering around the edge of a pillar, ignoring the broken glass at his back.

And the thread title reminds me of the assault course in Basic, in which my "battle buddy" and I did the fire-and-maneuver thing up the lane until the remote-controlled MG in the bunker opened up, and I jumped behind a log, and he jumped behind a 55 gallon drum.

After he did 25 push ups to reinforce the lesson that a 55 gallon drum is NOT cover, we got on with assaulting the bunker. (And, just to put the frosting on the cake of his incompetence, his '16 jammed as I ran up to toss the grenade in the slit...)
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    After he did 25 push ups to reinforce the lesson that a 55 gallon drum is NOT cover,
    TRAINING SCAR! Now I bet he spontaneously does push ups in the middle of gun fights. Total fail.

He was a medic, he may have never touched a weapon again after Basic. (On duty, that is. He was a good ol' boy from, IIRC, Waycross.)(That was in '80, before Big Army decreed that all medics would qualify annually just like the rest of us.)

EDIT: I may also be remembering the sequence of events incorrectly, it has been a couple of years...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    TRAINING SCAR! Now I bet he spontaneously does push ups in the middle of gun fights. Total fail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    He was a medic, he may have never touched a weapon again after Basic. (On duty, that is. He was a good ol' boy from, IIRC, Waycross.)(That was in '80, before Big Army decreed that all medics would qualify annually just like the rest of us.)

EDIT: I may also be remembering the sequence of events incorrectly, it has been a couple of years...

Okefenokee boys ain't worried about such things as training scars...

User Tag List