Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: 9 mm: Glock vs M&P

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I have limited experience with the Glock 30 but I recall it being actually a fairly reasonable, if unattractive pistol. Not difficult to shoot well at all. A little chunky for my elven hands though.

Forgot about the roster.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    Forgot about the roster.

In addition I don't think he wants DA/SA.

This one just popped up in my head. My friend just bought one.
    http://www.waltherarms.com/handguns/ccp/

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    In addition I don't think he wants DA/SA.
    Correct, Doc stated in an early post that he does not want to return to a DA/SA platform.

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    This one just popped up in my head. My friend just bought one.
    http://www.waltherarms.com/handguns/ccp/
    Given what Doc is considering, I don't think a slim single stack pistol is on the table. He's looking for something, ideally, G19 sized that takes a red dot, is thoroughly vetted, is relatively simple to maintain, is on the CA roster, and has a viable 10-round magazine due to new restrictions.

All things being equal I think if I were Doc and wanted to stay within his criteria I would do the following in the following order:

1.) Attempt an Apex SDI barrel in my already tailored fs M&P9. Considering he's rocking Gen3 G19s, aftermarket barrels would have been something he would have considered or has already committed to in that platform. If it ends up working, this is no different than an expense he would have already made in his G19s.

2.) Attempt a grip chop on one of his G19s. It'll probably negatively affect his reloads, but everything else that's a positive about the platform will still be a thing. Worst case scenario here? It doesn't work for him and he just uses G26 magazines with +2 extensions on them or G19 mags with grip extension sleeves for if/when restrictions are lifted.

3.) He runs with his M&P45/M&P9c combo and deals with the weight issues or reload issues. As a consolation he can use his fs M&P9 as a practice gun to save on ammo for most of his training and practice. He'd still be better off doing long range practice and training with the M&P45 or M&P9c.

DA/SA pistols are out, so that kills the PX4c, 92, entire CZ line, most HK pistols, almost all SIG pistols, and other random hammers that are out there.

SFAs not on his list would include pistols that are most likely either not on the CA roster, not thoroughly vetted at this time, or simply wouldn't hold up to extended hard use.

Doc has already stated that he's not willing to go down the 1911 rabbit hole again.

The only other option that I could see being a thing would be an HK pistol in LEM. However, given it's proclivity to be more difficult to shoot as fast as your standard fare Glock or M&P, I doubt he'd give it the go ahead. I could see him testing it and trying it out, but ultimately, probably not go with it.

Vending Machine Operator
    I've never been more thankful to live in the Mountain West. Last week I was holding a G17 and P320 in each hand, mumbling over pros and cons, while a SCAR-17S hung on the wall over my head. In a local fella's garage workroom / gun store. Easy to take that stuff for granted. Also even more admirable that doc stays so involved in the firearms industry when his state is determined to snuff any pursuit of that passion out.

I guess let's figure out how to make the perfect M&P!
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    Update: IANAL but a lawyer that is involved with these cases directly has the opinion that blocked to 10 round magazines will not comply with the new California laws
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    I'd love to go with an Apex and will do so as soon as they start accepting work again.
    The only barrel I ever fitted was the Apex SDI. It really was simple and the YouTube videos outline it quite well. I left mine pretty tight and just started shooting it and it has never failed from anything that could not be traced to a faulty reloaded round.

"IANAL but a lawyer that is involved with these cases directly has the opinion that blocked to 10 round magazines will not comply with the new California laws"
    This is exactly the rumblings we had heard...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Doc I have no experience with the Apex barrels(gunsmith fit) but seems like that would be a great solution since you shoot them so well and the only reservation you have with them are the accuracy at extended distances.

From what I have read it does not seem to be a involved process and if you did not want to tackle it yourself I am sure a number of other gunsmiths could do it since Apex is booked up.
    Last edited by EVP; 10-28-2016 at 07:42 AM.

User Tag List