Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 9 mm: Glock vs M&P

Doc, since the primary purpose of ergonomics is to assist the tool in its performance of given function(s), what you're realistically dealing with regarding the M&P is more a situation of comfort as opposed to efficiency.

While I suspect that you may like the M&P more than the Glock, the reality is that you quite simply perform better with the Glock. This is about the time that scientific reasoning should come into play...

To paraphrase someone else (who's no doubt a far better shot as well), this is a classic case of a gun needing to be comforting as opposed to comfortable...

...And just in case I haven't hit you over the head vigorously enough with my verbal tour-de-force, yeah, you need to choose the Glock.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    So you're saying he should buy HKs...............
    No, what he's saying is, when he's ready, he won't have to

Thanks for the comments so far.

The M&P45's I carried in 2011 were as accurate as many custom 1911's I've owned; likewise the M&P40's I've used have proven just as accurate as any other .40 service pistol on the market. It is just the M&P9 full size pistols that seem to get these weird flyers when shot at distance. And yes, I have a whole box full of barrels (both old 1/18 and new 1/10 S&W, as well as KKM and Storm Lake). With judicious selection, a new barrel can solve some of the accuracy issues found in some M&P9's, but not completely eliminate the occasional weird flyers. Accuracy at 15 yds and closer is identical between the Glock and M&P--it is only at longer ranges where the differences can be noted.

The shorter trigger reach and hinged trigger on the M&P are keys to why I can shoot them faster (better splits) and more consistently at speed compared to a Glock. As others have noted, a Glock grip reduction does NOT significantly improve trigger reach. In addition, mag changes on the M&P are faster for me than with a Glock.

HK P30 is certainly an option, but mags, parts, and armorer support are harder to find here on the west coast and they are not as easily adapted for RDS use.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Given Doc's stated concern with being able to withstand long shooting sessions with as little discomfort to his injury and that the M&P9 to him shoots the softest;

that he wishes to carry AIWB with a gun that has a safety and that the gadget is not yet commercially available;

that at the typical combat distance he out performs the Glock with the M&P on most standards;

that the existence of RMR's on his gun demonstrates a willingness to spend money on a $600 gun for better results given the circumstances (previous described eye issues due to a previous head injury and now a limb injury);

my suggestion that if in that box of barrels there is not a "Fitted" Storm Lake or KKM, have a competent gunsmith fit a after market barrel to his gun. It is my understanding that folks are getting satisfactory results with fitted barrels. Then again maybe you can scare up one of the scarce few Ernest Langton specials. Unless you are shooting the volume of rounds Todd is that should last him into the next decade or so.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Doc,

Have you ever handled/fired the FNS9? It has great ergos & a manual safety. By far not near the support of the Glock or M&P, but they seem to be gaining ground.

Yes. It was OK. Lack of support renders it a non-entity in my locale.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

I'd stick with the M&P.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911guy View Post
    I'd stick with the M&P.
    Doesn't this contradict your "accuracy" thread?

I would place a large bet, say a dollar, that his choice will be a 9mm, and for magazine, holster and what he has already RDS modified considerations, only a Glock or M&P are under consideration.

Like most people here, I have owned 9mm m&p's, Glocks, and a p30 LEM. I really like the ability to run CTC grips on the m&p and all the Apex goodies. I also like the support and aftermarket that Glock has. I just don't like the state of were the current Glocks and m&p are at. I prefer the p30 LEM by a large margin for my carry gun. Also I have not had a problem obtaining spare parts from HK. One could place a nice order with them and have a lot of spare parts and springs to hold you over.

Doc it may not be popular but if I were in your boat, I would source and buy a few gen 3 g19s or 17s all pre 09 pistols. It seems running a RMR is one important to you. My H,L prefix Glocks have been rock solid same with my Austrian proofed K series. Do your preferred grip mods and machine work for the RMR. It may not be the sexiest choice but you know what you are going to get.
    Last edited by EVP; 09-21-2013 at 05:32 PM.

User Tag List