Page 26 of 34 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: 9 mm: Glock vs M&P

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    2014 on seem good to go.
    Thanks

As recently noted in this thread (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....w-better/page2), the new illogical California firearms legislative action is forcing me to reconsider this issue. For a variety of reasons, the pistols I am considering remain the G19, M&P9, M&P9c, M&P45.

The M&P9 is the best handling (fastest draw to first shot, quickest splits, most rapid mag changes), softest shooting pistol I have used and reliable neutered 10 rd magazines are available; unfortunately, the M&P9's also continue to exhibit inconsistent accuracy at longer ranges for me.

The G19 is the perfect size pistol and is the most accurate in my hands at longer ranges, but I am slower with it than the M&P9 & M&P45 under 15 yds. Most importantly for my current asinine circumstances, I can discover NO reliable 10 round reduced capacity magazines for the uncut G19.

The M&P9c is easy to carry, but handles poorly for me--with slower draws, mag changes which can be measured with a sun dial, and the M&P9c requires more concentration to shoot accurately than the other pistols I have available to me. Fortunately the reduced capacity 10 rd magazines are reliable.

The M&P45 is a bit too large & heavy, but is very accurate and handles quite nicely. Unfortunately, I no longer have access to free .45 Auto ammo and the increase in recoil impulse of .45 Auto proves harder on my hands, wrists, and elbows as I get older; in addition, carrying 2 extra .45 Auto magazines gets quite heavy compared to 9 mm, although happily the standard capacity 10 rd M&P45 magazines we have function very reliably.

Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Seems like you want to balance shootability, accuracy and reliability, and each of these choices brings compromises in at least one area. Needing to get a different pistol set-up for an optic further complicates the process.

I would be tempted to chop one of your 19 frames to take 26 magazines as a stop gap measure while you evaluate these choices further, consider other possible choices, and perhaps even learn of something new at SHOT. Magpul could make a lot of people happy by introducing a reliable ten round Glock 17/19 magazine.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

I would be tempted to chop one of your 19 frames to take 26 magazines as a stop gap measure
    Considering that this going to get RMR'd, why not just to start with a 26? Grip will be the same, 26 cycles very well and is superbly accurate. With RMR the sight radius is non issue.
    Last edited by YVK; 10-18-2016 at 12:39 AM.

G26 cannot take a x300U or similar light....
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Throw an Apex barrel in an M&P 9 and call it good.

Site Supporter
    There is the M&P 45 carry- full size frame with beavertail and the 45 compact - no beavertail and 8 round magazines. Both have a 4" barrel. (I realize most here know the specs). I have considered both 45 guns for carry and when i say i have considered both, i mean buying both and carrying the compact when the carry is too big to work. They of course fit the same holsters.
    Last edited by WOLFIE; 10-18-2016 at 02:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Seems like you want to balance shootability, accuracy and reliability, and each of these choices brings compromises in at least one area. Needing to get a different pistol set-up for an optic further complicates the process.

I would be tempted to chop one of your 19 frames to take 26 magazines as a stop gap measure while you evaluate these choices further, consider other possible choices, and perhaps even learn of something new at SHOT. Magpul could make a lot of people happy by introducing a reliable ten round Glock 17/19 magazine.
    I seriously hope Magpul can step up to the plate and deliver here. Truly something that is needed due to ridiculous legislation and clearly Glock has no interest in fixing this issue.

I also think the 19 chop to 26 might be a viable choice, especially with pinky extension base plates on those 26 mags. Your mag changes might still suffer a bit, but at least you'd have better control and precision from the Glock than trying to make an M&P9 shoot accurately like you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Throw an Apex barrel in an M&P 9 and call it good.
    Interested in why this is not an option. I've had good luck with a pair of M&P 9s fitted with Apex SDI barrels through about 3,000 rounds. It's the best setup I've personally experienced for both mechanical and practical accuracy. Are there reliability or durability concerns with the Apex barrel?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    In those circumstances, I would probably split my time between 9mm and .45 M&P pistols. The FS/Compact 45 and compact 9mm for carry, with the FS M&P9 for practice/training to save on both ammunition costs and wrist/forearm wear and tear.

Although the difference in frame size/recoil impulse isn't ideal for training, I don't think it is a difference that cannot be overcome with a focused and intelligent training regimen.

User Tag List