Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 9 mm: Glock vs M&P

I am still waiting on Apex/Barsto barrel to make this decision. I know many people have given up, but I am still hopeful.

What about a G19 with professional grip reduction & stipple?

The choice seems to be between comfort and having a manual safety vs accuracy.

The comfort thing can be a very big deal with injuries thrown in, I know about that. I have to balance all of my handgun shooting with how bad it's going to hurt later.

The quest would seem to be in getting the M&P accurate, thus making the choice obvious and easy.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I am still waiting on Apex/Barsto barrel to make this decision. I know many people have given up, but I am still hopeful.
    That barrel has been three months off for the last three years. I know Randy has been doing his best, and I have had two M&P 9's there waiting for barrels to be fitted for a year, but at some point you got to pick from what is available now.

If you printed about a dozen of Doc's posts, taped them up on a wall, didn't even read them but just looked at the pictures, two things would jump out -- Doc likes stippling, and nearly every post has a picture of a 10 shoot group at 25 yards. Whatever he picks, I have a strong feeling that accuracy will be near the top of the list.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    The choice seems to be between comfort and having a manual safety vs accuracy.
    It is too bad there are no comfortable, manual safetied, accurate pistols around...

(image from Tactical Life)

Admit it, you guys thought I was going to say 1911.

In all seriousness, the fact that no one has been able to produce a problem-solving barrel for the M&P by now should be a giant clue that the barrel isn't the only (or necessarily even primary) problem in terms of consistent accuracy from gun to gun within the 9mm product line. Something else has gone TARFU with the design or production process. A tighter fitting barrel or "better" rifling isn't going to be the solution because, well, tighter fitting barrels and "better" rifling hasn't been the solution.

For folks using USPSA/IPSC as a gauge of the two guns' speed and such, if you think about it that's a poor basis. Given the level of difficulty at high level USPSA matches, a gun that cannot consistently land A-zone hits at distance is such a disadvantage that none of the top guys are shooting M&P9s to begin with. It's notable that the M&P has done much better in IDPA where the distance & difficulty of "hard" shots is limited by the rules.

In all seriousness, though, Doc, you've answered this question for yourself already. One gun let's you set personal bests on some drills by a tenth of a second, the other gives you confidence that you can hit what you want to hit under stress when you absolutely need to. Choice is simple, seems to me...

In all seriousness, though, Doc, you've answered this question for yourself already. One gun let's you set personal bests on some drills by a tenth of a second, the other gives you confidence that you can hit what you want to hit under stress when you absolutely need to. Choice is simple, seems to me...
    So you're saying he should buy HKs...............

I'm going to, P30L 9mm LEM. Just need to find a few more pennies in the couch cushions....

We are diminished
    In all seriousness, no. Doc has more than a passing familiarity with the P30 and its ilk. If that's what he wanted, he'd have them already. So between the Glock he's confident with or the M&P he's not, the choice isn't complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    In all seriousness, no. Doc has more than a passing familiarity with the P30 and its ilk. If that's what he wanted, he'd have them already. So between the Glock he's confident with or the M&P he's not, the choice isn't complicated.
    Yeah, I should have added a smiley to that post.

Todd beat me to it - the P30S or LS would seem to be a perfect solution. Lots of folks balk at the price of them, but, by the time you buy a Glock and have a competent smith install a match-grade barrel to get the accuracy you want; have another smith do some grip reduction/recontouring and stippling - you're at HK price range. Likewise an M&P with all the APEX goodies to make the trigger workable and a fitted barrel are also in the HK price range. Honestly, in my struggles to decide between the Glock (stock) or the P2000 (stock), I've given serious thought to the fitted barrel solution for my G19 - but, I already own the HKs, and money is an object, with furloughs, and potential .gov shut downs, and whatnot...

As I've stated before, there is no free lunch. The HK DA trigger blows chunks, and the "S" version in LEM is rarer than hen's teeth. You can convert a DA/SA "S" gun to LEM, but it voids the factory warranty to do so.

Maybe the right answer is to stick with the Glock for a couple of years, deal with the feeling of hauling a brick around on your hip, and wait to see if the P30X with the striker fired trigger is a solution to your conundrum...

Regards,

Kevin

User Tag List