Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: 9 mm: Glock vs M&P

Doc when you have your slides milled for the RMR, do you then have the slide refinished?
    If so, what product do you use?
    How can you govern a country which has two hundred and forty-six varieties of cheese?

Charles de Gaulle

Generally not, but black pray paint works OK...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Not Doc but I have had excellent accuracy out of my recent production 9mm M&P. The first 9mm M&P I picked up was dog poo in the accuracy department. At first I thought it was fine but when I bagged it and compared it to my P30 it was terrible. I replaced it with an M&P .40 which was comparable to Glock .40s I have shot so I called it a day. Recently, I picked up a matching 9mm as a range gun and was pleasantly surprised to find it was quite accurate. It has a "single dimple" barrel so it has the updated features. At this point I have completely stopped recommending Glocks to my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Not Doc but I have had excellent accuracy out of my recent production 9mm M&P. The first 9mm M&P I picked up was dog poo in the accuracy department. At first I thought it was fine but when I bagged it and compared it to my P30 it was terrible. I replaced it with an M&P .40 which was comparable to Glock .40s I have shot so I called it a day. Recently, I picked up a matching 9mm as a range gun and was pleasantly surprised to find it was quite accurate. It has a "single dimple" barrel so it has the updated features. At this point I have completely stopped recommending Glocks to my friends.

What do you consider excellent accuracy, and at what distance?

Freestanding 3-4 inches evenly spread at 25 yards using Fiocchi 115 grain. Same as I can pull off with my 2nd Gen 19. I need to rest it but I presume it would be around 2 inches off the bag. By comparison I couldn't do better than 6 inches off a bag with my old M&P 9.

That's about what my 2008 made M&P ' s would do standing unsupported with 124gr +p Ranger-T, my Gen 4 G19 has done 2 inches standing unsupported with 124gr +p HST.

Well, you are undoubtedly a better shot than I am. I am saying that I can't tell the difference between the accuracy of my Glock and my M&P at my skill level--that wasn't true of my older M&P. And of course, this is Fiocchi we are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Well, you are undoubtedly a better shot than I am. I am saying that I can't tell the difference between the accuracy of my Glock and my M&P at my skill level--that wasn't true of my older M&P. And of course, this is Fiocchi we are talking about.

Lol, I knew it wasn't a 100% apple to apple due to you using practice ammo and me using defensive ammo. I was just throwing some more data in there.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    From 1986-2010 I primarily used a .45 Auto 1911. In 2011, I switched to the M&P45. For a variety of reasons, based on time, scores, body abuse, and ammo availability/cost, I chose in 2012 to drop .45 Auto and switch entirely to 9 mm. In 2012 I used a G19; they were a delight to carry, as they are a perfect size for just about every task--working equally well for carry in casual wear, suites, and scrubs. I found the G19 accurate, but I had to work hard to shoot them with any degree of speed and they always felt like a brick in my hands during manipulations. I also kept wanting to have a safety, especially during AIWB carry and when moving around with a pistol in my hand.

For 2013 I switched to the M&P9; in many ways, the M&P9 is my favorite pistol to shoot, as the ergonomics on the M&P9 are superb for me and I also love the manual safety option. I've consistently shot my quickest FAST, Bill Drill, Mozambique, etc... using the M&P9. As some of you know, I am currently trying to recover from a fractured right wrist. After 100-150 rds of .45 or .40 and about 300-350 rds from a G17/19 or M&P9c my wrist begins to ache and limits my function for the remainder of the day--yet the M&P9 is so soft shooting, I can go 500 or so rds from one before my wrist starts significantly hurting. While the M&P9 is easy to carry in casual clothes, they have proven a bit too long in the grip to carry easily when wearing a tailored business suit or in scrubs--the M&P9c works much better in these situations. This leads me to have to have both the M&P9, as well as the M&P9c available. I might just stick with the M&P9c, but my mag changes are substantially slower with it than the M&P9 or Glocks.

But I am frustrated. No matter what I do, I cannot wring out the absolute accuracy I want from the full size M&P9 at distances beyond 15-20 yds. In this regard, the M&P9c are proving more consistently accurate than the full size M&P9. For example, today I started by shooting the old FAM qual cold with my M&P9--no problems. But when I moved back to 25 yds this is what I got:

No matter what I do, I have not been able to shoot 100 points at 25 with an M&P9--I always get 1-2 flyers. Now I might think this was me, but immediately after shooting the miserable group above, I grabbed a G19 I have only shot 10 rounds from in the past 9 months and shot this:

In fact pretty much anytime I am shooting an RDS equipped Glock with a KKM or Wilson barrel, I can shoot 99-100 at 25 yds without much effort.

I am an armorer on both pistols, so that is a moot point. To summarize:

-- Glock is more accurate at distance, with more versatile carry options.

--M&P is faster and more ergonomic.

So as we approach 2014, I need to standardize on what pistol I am going to carry for the next decade or so--(older, well proven) 3rd gen G19's or mix of M&P9/9c. I'd love to hear your thoughts.
    A friend of mine prefers M&P's and he ended up going with an aftermarket barrel. Is that an option for you?
    Pat

I was looking at competing with a M&P 9 and others who compete are telling me I should pick up a M&P9c for carry. Are they that big of a difference between the two?
    Last edited by ffhounddog; 12-29-2013 at 09:03 AM.

User Tag List