Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: 9 mm: Glock vs M&P

Unfortunately, reloading the M&P9c is painfully slow for me compared to an M&P9fs or G19...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Unfortunately, reloading the M&P9c is painfully slow for me compared to an M&P9fs or G19...
    True. I didn't think about that. I don't spend much time on reloads.

With all the problems people have been reporting with new Glocks and M&P's it seems like short of
    going HK you are just rolling the dice no matter what you get. I'm carrying a Springfield 1911 RO with Harrison fixed sights and it's been both accurate and reliable to this point with very good accuracy. Most of the set up issues people report from quality production 1911's don't seem any different then what I read with 1911's like Colt and Springfield. If I had the experiences reported by many here with Glocks or M&P's I would have been disappointed. For the record my issued M&P .40 has been both accurate and reliable since 2007.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Between the two I would stick with the Glock. The arguments have all been made for me, the chief of which is that you are confident in your Glocks and simply hopeful about your M&P.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    10-8 has a flared magwell that might help. Its not out quite yet though and you have to use their baseplates though, which sucks. Have you tried perhaps shooting from a rest for groups and see if you still throw rounds out? It seams kinda odd to have 8 in a tight group and 2 way out there. I know you're a good shooter. But it might be worth a try.

Yes.

They have been shot from rests, freestyle, one handed, etc...

Different barrels have been tried.

I have two new M&P's that seem to initially be doing well--we'll see how they are after RDS are installed.

With a sophisticated user, we don't see the easily-found errors in concept we would if a beginner asked, "Should I buy a 45 auto or a 44 Magnum for my first handgun?" Doc is familiar with his needs and each benefit of the two firearms in question. Since there's still a question, then, we have to assume the ambiguities are in the requirements, not the knowledge of the user.

I'd recommend a decision tree approach similar to the following: (There are multiple pathways - I'm following one of them - a "critical path.")

Will I carry it AIWB - y/n

If yes, do I require additional safety beyond a trigger similar to Glock - y/n

Am I limited to the Glock/M&P9 mentioned? y/n

If yes, do I value close range speed? y/n

If yes, do I value 25-yard accuracy? y/n

...and so forth until you get to a null case, since you can't have both close quickness and and 25-yard accuracy with the same pistol, and you already knew that. The tree lets you rearrange the requirements in order to set those things that are more important to you. It also lets you revisit requirements that might be squishy, like the limits on candidates, or safety device. I'd want some kind of safety AIWB, but if it doesn't have to be the M&P9, then it might be a SIG 239, for instance.

If it does have to be one of the two, then handle it the way the military does - with multiple shots from the M&P. I've seen some of your targets - it's rare to have more than one flyer - just shoot twice or three times in a long-range defensive situation. Squads use multiple shot auto weapons when engaging long range targets, and though it's been awhile since I dropped sticks of dumb bombs from aircraft, it was seldom the center of the stick that made the hit. That's what magazines are for - you aren't graded by the number of rounds you bring home, just the hits.

FWIW

Quote Originally Posted by Jaywalker View Post
    ...you aren't graded by the number of rounds you bring home, just the hits.
    You could be penalized or prosecuted for your misses.

Site Supporter
    Doc, what kind of accuracy are you seeing with your two new M&P9's?

Unfortunately real life intrudes this time of year and I will not be able to wring them out until the new year.

User Tag List