Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting one gun

Shooting one gun

A little bit of background is in order. My primary training focus has revolved around two pistols. The first is a S&W 686 3" six shooter. The second is actually been my EDC in the form of a Ruger LCR. The LCR is a recent acquisition, the 686 I've carried and shot for about 10 years now. I've probably put 20k rounds through the 686.

While shooting an IDPA match this past week, I noticed that trigger on my 686 was dragging, it felt really gritty, and was inconsistent, the pull weight which is usually around 8 pounds would jump up to 14-15 pounds. After three stages, I put it away and finished the final 15 stages with a 3" Model 65.

Man, could I tell a difference. I shoot the 65 occasionally, and shoot it pretty well, but not like the 686. I did ok in the match, but not as well as I should have.

I have heard the saying for years "Beware the man with only one gun, he might know how to use it." I had sort of used that as a training mantra, with the occasional deviation into Glocks or another revolver. What does the guy with one gun do when his gun takes a dump?

Wheeler
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

He uses his back up that is identical.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    He uses his back up that is identical.
    That's what I do. I only own two pistols and they're the same model.

Although, one has had a significant amount of trigger work done to it, and the other hasn't. Not the smartest of ideas if I'm honest.

If I had the money, I'd own a few more. I'm not really big on the whole "if I'm in a gunfight I turn into a hapless slobbering mess and suddenly can't switch between a DA/SA and a striker fired pistol (for instance)" thing.
    All I know is that I know nothing. - Socrates

Meh.

I've never put much faith in the saying "Beware of the man with only one gun..."; I have quite a few different types of guns, and I seem to do okay with all of them. Shooting/accuracy fundamentals don't really change a whole lot, regardless of the type of firearm.

"Weapons manipulation" such as loading/unloading/reloading/mechanical safeties/etc. differ and the only way to obtain experience is through, well, experience. Personally, I wouldn't want to train under an instructor that would only perform drills/demos with one specific firearm.

Just my $0.02 worth.

There are very few people who can shoot multiple platforms at a high level.
    I maintain familiarity with multiple guns but the majority of my practice is with my primary pistol.
    The fundamentals don't change between a revolver and a H&K P30, it's still front sight-trigger press, but your ability to execute those fundamentals at a high level deteriorates the more variable you introduce.

I have quite a few different types of guns, and I seem to do okay with all of them.
    Can you shoot sub-7 second FAST drills with each pistol you own, back to back with no practice rounds to re-familiarize in between runs?

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Can you shoot sub-7 second FAST drills with each pistol you own, back to back with no practice rounds to re-familiarize in between runs?
    Yes.

Edit - Only if you define "pistol" as "semi-automatic"; I can't shoot sub-7 second FAST drills with my S&W 617 revolver due to the increased time to reload. Well, now that I think about it I've never actually tried a FAST drill with the 617 but I'm willing to bet that it will take longer than 7 seconds.
    Last edited by agent-smith; 05-22-2011 at 10:42 AM.

I always recommend purchasing two or three identical handguns so you can carry one, train with another, and perhaps have a spare at home ready to take the place of a broken one or arm a family member if the need arises. Unless done for collecting/reference collection purposes, having a bunch of different handguns is counter-productive for the majority of shooters.

Site Supporter
    Just make sure it's a keeper before you buy those others.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    I always recommend purchasing two or three identical handguns so you can carry one, train with another, and perhaps have a spare at home ready to take the place of a broken one or arm a family member if the need arises. Unless done for collecting/reference collection purposes, having a bunch of different handguns is counter-productive for the majority of shooters.
    The best advice there is. The old saying about "one gun" is a non-starter when taken literally. I apply this to my carry and HD battery. I do not argue that someone who has built some skill should never work out with other platforms however.
    Last edited by JHC; 05-22-2011 at 11:46 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    There are very few people who can shoot multiple platforms at a high level.
    I maintain familiarity with multiple guns but the majority of my practice is with my primary pistol.
    The fundamentals don't change between a revolver and a H&K P30, it's still front sight-trigger press, but your ability to execute those fundamentals at a high level deteriorates the more variable you introduce.

I'm with Agent Smith on this. If you can really shoot a pistol, you can really shoot numerous different types of pistols well. Very well.

The FAST drill is but one of hundreds of measures and cool as it is, it is not the first and only commandment of gun handling and the back to back with no fam standard doesn't really create an argument on its face for not learning multiple platforms.

But yeah I'll bet I could do that if I owned a P30 or still owned a BHP and P7 and I ain't shit but I've got lots of reps with all of the above except the P30.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List