Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 38 S&W

38 S&W

Can a 38SPL safely shoot the 38S&W ?

And how about the short and long 38 Colt?

Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post

Thanks guys
    38 S&W is not interchangeable with 38spl. Same can be said about both Colt cartridges.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post

1) No. .38S&W will not even chamber in a .38 Spl.

2) To the best of my knowledge, .38 Long Colt will work in a .38 Spl, but the reverse is not true.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

It is my understanding that both the Colt loadings have a bullet diameter of .361. Can you run that down a .358 barrel with out issues?
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by rsa-otc View Post
    It is my understanding that both the Colt loadings have a bullet diameter of .361. Can you run that down a .358 barrel with out issues?
    .38 Long Colt uses a 158gr .357" LRN bullet; the .38 Special was developed as a .mil round specifically so that the revolvers that fired it would be backward compatible with the older service cartridge, AFAIK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.38_Long_Colt

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    .38 Long Colt uses a 158gr .357" LRN bullet; the .38 Special was developed as a .mil round specifically so that the revolvers that fired it would be backward compatible with the older service cartridge, AFAIK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.38_Long_Colt
    Tam interesting that we both went to the same source. LOL In the side bar they say the bullet diameter of the Colt loadings are .361.

I was responding to your post :"2) To the best of my knowledge, .38 Long Colt will work in a .38 Spl, but the reverse is not true."

Further pursuing the interwebs has the 38 Colt bullet diameter all over the place. But in the end they show that a standard pressure (Non +P) 38 special round may be fired in a good condition 38 long colt with so-so accuracy because of the different bore sizes. 38 Special bullet would be undersized in the 38 colt bore.
    Scott

Cartridges Of The World listed a .357 projo, but I couldn't be arsed at the time to go up to the attic and mic one. I will when I get home from lunch. (I think the Short Colt used a heel-based bullet but the Long used a modern inside-lubed one, but I'm going from memory here.)

EDIT: Here might be an explanation for the confusion re. Bullet dia. Vs. bore dia. http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...long-colt.html
    Last edited by Tamara; 09-18-2013 at 02:06 PM.

Cartridges Of The World listed a .357 projo, but I couldn't be arsed at the time to go up to the attic and mic one. I will when I get home from lunch. (I think the Short Colt used a heel-based bullet but the Long used a modern inside-lubed one, but I'm going from memory here.)
    Tam leave it to you to have one in the closet. LOL

Probably the best way to get our answer is micing an actual bullet.
    Scott

Thanks gal and guy!

That's to bad !

EDIT: Here might be an explanation for the confusion re. Bullet dia. Vs. bore dia. http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...long-colt.html
    Excellent find.
    Scott

User Tag List