Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: High grip problem on Glocks

High grip problem on Glocks

I cannot seem to hold my Glock 19 or 17 without inadvertently holding down the slide stop. With a high grip, thumbs forward and my support (left) hand fully cammed down and locked, the meaty part of my left thumb rides the slide stop lever. I have big mitts at 6'5".

You can get a sense of my grip from this video. Although it's not a very close shot of my hands. http://www.youtube.com/user/pointfiv.../0/Ae_cvWsJE6Y (There is a bunch to work on there. Right now I'm trying to get my press out and pull back on the same line and not moving my head for starters. I'm waaaay open to other criticisms of the video!)

I'm thinking of putting the Vickers slide stop on my Glocks, but don't think that hardware will fix what seems to be a software issue. I love the pistols and I'm already invested in Glock gear, so I'd prefer to stay with Glock 9mm but I've considered switching to M&Ps if I can run them without the same problem.

This is slowing me way down on reloads and I'd like to try and figure out a way to grip the gun well, control recoil, and still utilize the features of the gun.

My thumbs look from the side pretty much like yours and I never have the slide lock problem but I press my strong thumb downward on my support thumb and that seems to keep it from causing mischief. Form looks pretty strong.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Are you running the stock or extended Glock slide stop?

As one who shares the same problem, I can tell you right now the Vickers part will not relieve depressing the slide stop issue.
    I reinstalled the part after a cursory test and I find myself locking the slide back with rounds stilll in the mag (same thing using the extended stock part found on the 34/35 series).

The slide stops on all my Glocks are currently the stock option. Only new parts are sights.

I had the same problem. I got used to my USP V1, where my strong thumb would just ride the safety all day. Well, when I switched to Glock, my strong thumb went to look for somewhere to rest - and the only thing it found was the slide release. So yeah, I had a few failures to lock back.

I simply retrained myself to rest my strong thumb on top of my weak thumb, slightly away from the frame of the pistol. It's habit now, and I haven't had a FTLB in 1200+ rounds.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by mariodsantana View Post
    I had the same problem. I got used to my USP V1, where my strong thumb would just ride the safety all day. Well, when I switched to Glock, my strong thumb went to look for somewhere to rest - and the only thing it found was the slide release. So yeah, I had a few failures to lock back.

I simply retrained myself to rest my strong thumb on top of my weak thumb, slightly away from the frame of the pistol. It's habit now, and I haven't had a FTLB in 1200+ rounds.

Good luck!
    The problem that I am having is sort of a Catch 22. I can roll my left wrist back to neutral and lose the stability of camming it down and forward to avoid the slide stop. Or I can keep it stable and lose the slide stop locking back. The problem is the fleshy part at the base of my left thumb riding the lever when I have a solid, wrist locked grip on the pistol.
    Memento Mori

First step is to figure out if interference comes from strong or support hand, or both. For strong hand, rolling out the thumb is a solution, which is easy when picking a gun up, but not so easy out of holster. For support hand problem, most people would lower thumb position so support side thumb rests of the front of a trigger guard.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    First step is to figure out if interference comes from strong or support hand, or both. For strong hand, rolling out the thumb is a solution, which is easy when picking a gun up, but not so easy out of holster. For support hand problem, most people would lower thumb position so support side thumb rests of the front of a trigger guard.
    I'm going to have to experiment with the trigger guard index. That feels pretty weird right now, but so did picking up a Glock for the first time. I checked my thumbs often while shooting last time, and my right thumb rides outside my left every time so that does not appear to be the issue.

Thanks everyone so far.
    Memento Mori

Quote Originally Posted by pointfiveoh View Post
    The problem that I am having is sort of a Catch 22. I can roll my left wrist back to neutral and lose the stability of camming it down and forward to avoid the slide stop. Or I can keep it stable and lose the slide stop locking back. The problem is the fleshy part at the base of my left thumb riding the lever when I have a solid, wrist locked grip on the pistol.
    So the fleshy part of your left hand is holding the slide release down? I've never heard of that - I would think your left hand would tend to push the release up if at all. Of course, you could write a shooter's encyclopedia with all the stuff I've never heard of, so.
    Last edited by MDS; 05-20-2011 at 04:26 PM. Reason: completeness

Quote Originally Posted by mariodsantana View Post
    So the fleshy part of your left hand is holding the slide release down? I've never heard of that - I would think your left hand would tend to push the release up if at all. Of course, you could write a shooter's encyclopedia with all the stuff I've never heard of, so.
    I seem to come up with all the oddball stuff and I'm not even trying!
    Memento Mori

User Tag List