Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Reviewing various Quals, to understand different priorities in speed versus accuracy

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    We have frequently discussed the relative importance of speed versus accuracy in a tactical setting. After this DOW, the FAM qual, assuming we believe the various quals reflects their organization's beliefs, it really sunk home that different credible organizations have dramatically different priorities in speed versus accuracy. I thought it would be fun to try to list as many quals as we can, and then look at how they prioritize speed versus accuracy.

Here is a summary of the FAM qual scoring from this week:

FAM PTC

Range: 7yd
    Target: Three (3) FBI QIT, IPSC metric, or IDPA targets
    Start position: varies
    Rounds fired: 30
    Draw from concealment and fire one shot. Repeat. Total time for the two runs combined must be no more than 3.30 seconds.
    From the ready, fire two shots. Repeat. Total time for the two runs combined must be no more than 2.70 seconds.
    From the ready, six rounds on target. Time limit is 3.00 seconds and no shot-to-shot split can be greater than 0.60 seconds. (you do not repeat this string)
    From the ready, one shot, speed/in-battery reload, and one more shot. Repeat. Total time for the two runs combined must be no more than 6.50 seconds.
    From the ready, one round each at two targets at least 3yd apart. Repeat. Total time for the two runs combined must be no more than 3.30 seconds.
    Begin facing uprange concealed. On the buzzer, turn to your right and fire one round on each of three targets. Repeat a second time turning to your left. Total time for the two runs combined must be no more than 7.00 seconds.
    Begin with one round in the gun at the ready. On the buzzer fire, drop to one knee, reload from slidelock, and fire a second shot. Repeat. Total time for the two runs combined must be no more than 8.00 seconds.

Scoring is as follows:
    Must finish within the indicated time limit for each string or you fail.
    If all of the times are achieved, you must also score 135 points out of 150 to pass.

Shots completely inside the bottle (Q target), IPSC A/B/C zones, or IDPA 0/-1 zones score 5 points each. Hits that touch the line do not count.
    Shots that hit the target but don't score in the 5-point zones are 2 points each.
    Shots that miss the target earn no points.

My take away is that this test puts a high priority on speed, since a single shot over time is a FAIL, where the targets are large and you can drop 15 points and still pass.

It would be great if others could add other agency quals they are familiar with, so we can get a bunch of them to review for their prioritization of speed versus accuracy.
    The speed vs accuracy requirement in qualifications often reflects the strengths and weakness of the course designer. Meaning slower but accurate guys will design a course to place more emphasis on accuracy vs. speed. Guys who are faster and less accurate do the opposite. Seems to be human nature. I feel both are equally important but I have not found the perfect way to score that. The other issue is when your running multiple people on the line you need a course with par times. Par times generally encourage shooters to use as much of the time as possible without going over to be as accurate as possible. This slows shooters down and most leo par times are a bit too generous in my experience.
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff22 View Post
    The course is revolver neutral
    In what manner? Just curious... the way we do that here is simply reduce the round count and requisite scores.

For example: the standard P.O.S.T. qualification course of fire entails 60 rounds, in six shot (and multiples thereof) strings to accommodate revolvers. For five shot snubbies, the round count is dropped to 50, in five shot (and multiples thereof) strings.

I was just wondering how other jurisdictions handle that, as it suddenly occurred to me that, despite the numerous contacts and information exchanges I've had with other firearms guys in other parts of the country (and the world), that particular tidbit never came up.

You want a variety of handgun qualification standards?

Try here: http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/H...Standards1.pdf

I don't know how recent they are, but there are a bunch.

User Tag List