Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Airport Security Today

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    I've never stood in line for more than about 7 minutes at PDX, and the only way I get upgraded to first class is if I win the lotto. Then again, PDX is not exactly the most "International" of the international airports.

Though, I did fly on 11 SEP 2002 into PDX, and noticed a slight difference in TSA lines and wait times. There was also a noticeable difference in the volume of passengers.......my flight, an MD-80, had exactly 17 passengers on it.
    That'd be nice, to have about a tenth of the plane to yourself

I flew out of Logan this morning and noticed that they had a non pre-check line merging into the pre-check line. They didn't explain it and I didn't ask what was going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    ......my flight, an MD-80, had exactly 17 passengers on it.
    September is always a slow month, which is part of the reasons the terrorists did it on September 11.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Speaking of PDX, in my limited air travel experience I have checked firearms through at ABQ, IND, MHT, PDX, and RDM. PDX was head and shoulders above the rest in no-fuss ease, with MHT in second place. (It helped that the nice lady at the American counter I've gotten two out of three times at MHT is married to a dude who works at the Class 3 SOT practically just across the interstate from the terminal. "Did you go to The Firing Line while you were here? No? Oh, too bad! You should go there next time you visit!" God Bless America.)

IND is by far the worst, and tiny RDM was, surprisingly, a pain in the tuchas as well. They yanked Jesse Tischauser off the plane to open his gun cases the day before I flew out of there.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Flew on 9/11 and Friday the 13th in the same week, all smooth so far. One more flight home tonight, only posting to tempt Fate.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Quote Originally Posted by mariodsantana View Post
    Flew on 9/11 and Friday the 13th in the same week, all smooth so far. One more flight home tonight, only posting to tempt Fate.
    Dude, aren't you just the bold one?

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Speaking of PDX, in my limited air travel experience I have checked firearms through at ABQ, IND, MHT, PDX, and RDM. PDX was head and shoulders above the rest in no-fuss ease, with MHT in second place. (It helped that the nice lady at the American counter I've gotten two out of three times at MHT is married to a dude who works at the Class 3 SOT practically just across the interstate from the terminal. "Did you go to The Firing Line while you were here? No? Oh, too bad! You should go there next time you visit!" God Bless America.)

IND is by far the worst, and tiny RDM was, surprisingly, a pain in the tuchas as well. They yanked Jesse Tischauser off the plane to open his gun cases the day before I flew out of there.
    Granted I typically fly in the south, but I've never had an issue checking guns. PDX wasn't bad except the gun check in point way pretty far away from the Southwest check in counter.

Honestly the easiest is TPA. The only annoying thing is that they have to call a Skycap to take it to the TSA over sized luggage area, but that also means that he is dragging my bags (I typically fly with over a 100lbs of luggage). The TSA does their thing, and tells you it is clear within a couple of minutes of arriving.

MCI was also quite easy too, but they aren't TSA, but a private contractor. I remember the lady from the Southwest counter offering to help, he was maybe 4' 6" weighing less than 100lbs (she stood on the scale I don't remember it hitting triple digits), that made me chuckle when my bag weighs almost as much as her.

Quote Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post
    Granted I typically fly in the south, but I've never had an issue checking guns.
    I don't mean problems like "EEK! A Gun!" (Indiana's even more gun-friendly than Georgia or Tennessee.) I mean the system they have set up at IND is probably technically illegal. You check your bags at the ticket desk and they give you a slip of paper to give the TSA supervisor on the far side of the checkpoint. Those guys then take your keys and go inspect your bag someplace in the bowels of the airport.

Now, by the letter of the law they totally aren't supposed to do that, but when you've just waited in a ten-minute line and your flight starts boarding in another twenty, who's got time to argue?

They're always friendly enough; I mean both times I flew out to the CTC match they were all "Good luck!" and telling me about how they liked shooting in the Friday Night Steel matches down at Marion County Fish & Game, but I don't know what it's going to take for them to un-kitten their boned setup.

At Manchester they just have you loiter around the ticket area for five minutes or so and tell you they'll call you if they need you, but so far I'm 0-for-3 on them actually needing me to open my bags or anything. At IND they've checked my bags on every. single. flight.

User Tag List