Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: "Bad Software"

Please refrain from inciting inter-forum warfare.

http://pistol-forum.com/misc.php?do=showrules

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    I didn't bother to get their names. I also don't follow the competition shooting circuit, and other than Julie G., Caleb and Jerry Barnhart, I have never met a famous competition shooter so I wouldn't know one if I tripped over him/her.

But I can point to all but one gun club where I have shot a match over the last 20 years, and you can hang out for about 15 minutes and you will hear "We use this because, in the real world you would want to ABC", or "Well, you are penalized for that because that isn't what you would want to do in a real fight", or any number of variations. I don't recall hearing the exact statement you have in quotes Caleb, but many that are close enough.

Do I have concrete evidence to prove what I heard personally was "actually said" with a link to YouTube so I can be the internet hero who finally outed the competition dude who made the statement? No. And I'm not going to carry a digital recorder around with me to capture the stupidity.

I have never heard something like from the top level shooters. But just because a top competitive shooter didn't say something of that nature, doesn't mean similar statements are not made by competition shooters.
    Sorry for the late response. I'm always behind on the internet goings-on over the weekend.

I do not at all disbelieve that it's been said or that you've heard it. If you don't know names or don't want to name them, I understand that too, as well as not carrying around a voice recorder to document it.

I personally have not heard it said that competition is 'just like the real thing.' That is over the course of a pretty modest number of USPSA matches (only around fourteen or so now ), mostly local, but a couple regional/state level matches too.

I haven't shot any IDPA, since AIWB need not apply, so I have fortunately been spared the tactical wisdom that I understand emanates from that organization so prevalently. Did you guys consult them to help form/guide your unit's TTPs? Sorry, couldn't resist a sarcastic joke at IDPA's expense...And some of the statements you cite sound very much related to IDPA's prescribed tactics enforced through their various rules.

On the other hand, I have personally heard competition shooting denigrated during certain tactical training, with phrases approximate to 'there is no timer in a gunfight' and 'competition will get you killed' used.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post

Here's the poll forum as of today. It was slightly in favor of the anti's as of my last visit which was some months back. Even 47% is a disturbing stat on a supposedly pro-2A forum.
    What you'll find is that there is no single opinion as to what constitutes a "background check". Some simply want the current jacked-up system fixed, for instance. That's hardly an "anti-gun" position.

It's also the case that the poll in question is self-selected. It's not a poll of "CalGuns" or even a poll of all the members of the forum. It's a poll of those who saw, read and chose to respond ... basically meaningless.

This thread is done.

User Tag List