Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Bad Software"

"Bad Software"

Given the title of this section,Im of the thought that this is a great place to share not just the good mental tactics,but also the bad ones to avoid.On my personal quest to improve as a shooter,Ive encountered many sayings which have proven in my amateur experience to be total bunk.

My favorite :"This gun is too big to conceal carry." For you,perhaps.But not all of us are built the same.What's 'too big to carry' is an individual determination,not a set rule that Gun X is Size Y,so it's impossible to carry.I'm sure theres plenty of folks who capably haul around 5" 1911s and Glock 17s with no drama.

Next up,we have "DA/SA is impossible to shoot well".Little more need be said about that farce.Again,an individual determination for each shooter.Some like it,some don't.

Then theres the " INSERT CALIBER HERE" is a wuss round/weak manstopper/incapable of defending you shibboleth. If police homicide
    reports are any indication,every handgun made can kill in the right hands.

Any other examples of bad software you pros can add?

My favorite, used to dismiss poor performance during training/quals:

"If its for real, I'll do better under stress."

"The bullets drop so much I can't hit the target at 25 or beyond."

I hear this one as an excuse for felony flinching or dipping. Usually applied to compact 45ACPs or other not-so-pleasant shooting pistols. I will have to shoot the gun at the 50 yard line to prove that the bullets dont drop that significantly enough to notice. Shooter usually has no excuse for why they're low left at 5 and7.

"A firearms instructor taught me this.".

Usually for the classic support-hand-thumb-behind-the-slide grip. Normally never used more than once per shooter. Shooter can never name that instructor. Have bandaids on hand.

One of the reasons I pound on the "you gotta have a pistol in a caliber that starts with 4" idiots so much in police circles is that this BS is so very prevalent, and false, and I think actually a failure in mindset.

If you are a firearms instructor for a regional academy, I have seen and heard this done, and you tell your recruits carrying 9mms that it's an ineffective round that will get them killed, you have 1; spread BS to your students, and 2; what have you done to their mindset?
    If they have zero faith in their issued pistol and ammo then they are at a distinct disadvantage going into a fight, and IMHO more likely to "fear bite" (dog people know what I'm talking about...) and shoot early, or shoot while trying to "Run Away!" (insert Monty Python voice here).

Wayne and I were on the phone yesterday and he mentioned being in NJ and hearing this same tired BS from the coppers there ref 9mms. He told them his thoughts, they weren't buying it. I note BS gun myths often trend in places with little to zero gun culture.

"If someone pulls a knife on me, I'll just shoot them"..........wanna bet
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    "Competition will get you killed." I used to parrot this one.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

A few pearls of "wisdom" I've heard over the years.....

"I don't need to carry a round chambered in my Glock. It's dangerous, and I can rack the slide when I need it."

"Carrying a spare magazine will get you charged with (insert BS charge here) by the DA, so I don't do it."

"I'm not going anywhere dangerous, so I don't need to carry my gun."

This is controversial. "Get a Glock 27 for backup so you can use your G22 magazines to reload." There's good and bad to this one. I used to preach it until I got some experience under my belt and noticed too many shooter-induced failures to feed with 27s due to torquing on the exposed magazine body. I now prefer that my shooters buy a couple extra baby Glock mags, but those problem children who are too cheap to spend the extra money for additional mags are also the most likely to experience problems.

I have never seen a stoppage from using a full sized mag in a G26 or G27, ever. I have also tested that extensively. Just sayin.

Don't shoot 100%, they'll use it against you....
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

User Tag List